ASUS T100 Gaming Impressions/performance

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MicroByte, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorburn

Thorburn Pen Pal - Newbie

I used a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 in my previous job and fitted with a Core i7-720QM and an SSD that was a very quick laptop, much faster than my T100. The killer for the T100 is that it only has 2GB of memory, which can become quite limiting for something like Photoshop and can crash out some applications when they run out. The CPU performance is actually pretty acceptable (Core 2 Duo/first gen i3 range) and it has Quicksync support which makes video encoding bearable.

[video=youtube;DL3oely40xU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL3oely40xU[/video]

For me it is very much my third PC - I use it out on-site or watching videos on the sofa, but for productivity work I'd much rather be on my desktop workstation or my Vaio laptop.

2. Thorburn

Thorburn Pen Pal - Newbie

I tested mine with GRID 2 running the attract demo on a loop at 50% volume and brightness. It lasted 3hr 30min, but the final 30 minutes was in the low performance mode it enters once you reach 10% battery - it does this because it can draw more power than the 2A charger can provide, so otherwise you could end up with the system flattening the battery and switching off while you have it on charge which would be confusing for people.

[video=youtube;SHHO3EMcgJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHHO3EMcgJg[/video]

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut 8-bit

Tomb Raider, setting custom resolution for best performance (800x450 - to maintain 16:9 aspect):

<iframe width='640' height='360' src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PwZltaYjmvE" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Benchmark and Gameplay:

<iframe width='640' height='360' src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tP7kAgeBtEE" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. KevinP

KevinP Pen Pal - Newbie

Thought I'd make some contributions. I'll make a separate post with instructions for each game I tried that required extensive tweaking so I can just directly link the post for anyone asking, and collective posts for games that run fine without adjustments.

1. Fallout & Fallout 2 (GOG versions): these both run without issues. Installed on internal memory. Framerate on both is in the 120s, lol

2. Age of Empires II HD: Turned off Vsync, antialias shadows, and render 3D water. Game runs at around 50 fps full screen. I assume at the full 1366x768 resolution, as there are no resolution options. Installed on internal memory.

3. Shadowrun Returns: Full screen, Full 1366x768 resolution, HD textures on. Runs at 30fps, dips into the 20s on occasion. With HD textures off stays at a fairly steady 30 fps. TBH, I didn't notice much difference so I left it off. Installed on external USB 3.0 HDD.

4. Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000: Full screen, Full 1366x768 resolution, all video effects maxed. Runs at a locked 60 fps. Installed on microSD card.

5. Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition: Full screen, Full 1366x768 resolution, all effects on, Vsync on. Runs at upwards of 200+ fps lol (you can set max fps lower). Installed on microSD card.

6. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux: Full screen, Full 1366x768 resolution, all effects on, Vsync on. Runs at upwards of 150+ fps lol (you can set max fps lower). Installed on microSD card.

7. Flatout: Full screen, Full 1366x768 resolution, all effects on, antialising off. Runs at 45-60 fps. Installed on external USB 3.0 HDD.

8. Flatout 2: Full screen, Full 1366x768 resolution, all effects on, antialising off. Runs at 38-50 fps. Installed on external USB 3.0 HDD.

9. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition: Not many options here, so I left it as-is. Runs at 29/30 fps. Installed on internal memory.

10. Call of Juarez: Played on 1280x720 resolution in DX9 mode. Used "Best Performance" settings. Framerate was 35-40, dipped into the 20s on occasion for a couple of seconds. Installed on USB 3.0 external HDD. Initial loading time took foreeeeever (like, 3 minutes).

5. KevinP

KevinP Pen Pal - Newbie

Game: Fallout 3 GOTY (Steam version)

Okay, I had to do some work here, and so should you if you want a better experience. You'd think Bethesda might want to update one of their flagship games so people don't have to jump through hoops to get them to work, but nope. Anyway, first thing you're gonna want to do (or not want to do, but you should) is download and install the latest version of GFWL here:

Download the Games for Windows Client | PC Games Client - Xbox.com

Then, you're going to want to download the Fallout Script Extender (FOSE) here:

Fallout Script Extender (FOSE)

Follow the directions in the read me.

Then, get the Intel HD graphics Bypass package:

Intel HD graphics Bypass package at Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

Then, get Fallout Stutter Remover off the Nexus mods site:

Fallout Stutter Remover at Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

Install using the directions in the read me.

Then, go ahead and download the Nexus Mod Manager and make an account here, because it really simplifies things:

Nexus mods and community

Install, and then download the following mods for better performance:

1. Low Res Textures: Low Res Textures at Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

(On a 10 inch screen, you won't notice this too much)

2. Better Game Performance: Better Game Performance at Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

3. Clean Deluxe GOTY: Clean-Deluxe at Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

(This mod gets rid of a lot of cans, loose rocks, etc. You won't miss them)

4. Reduced Dust Particles - Reduced Dust Particles at Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

5. Fog Remover - Fog remover at Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

Install using the NMM.

Here are my results using all of the above, on Low settings:

1366x768 resolution: 22-30 fps, mostly around 25 fps.
    1280x720 resolution: 25-35 fps, mostly hovers in the 30 range.
    1024x768 resolution: 30-40 fps, mostly hovering around 33-35 fps.
    800x600 resolution: 35-50 fps, mostly hovering around 40-45 fps.

This is out exploring the area right around DC, in the open world of the game. Framerates will go higher in smaller spaces. Now, at certain points, it will dip into the teens at any resolution. This will happen during "kill" cinematics, and weird places in the world (like certain spots inside Craterside Supply building). But it's very playable at any resolution, as long as you stick to Low settings.

Verdict: Runs Great (after some work)

6. KevinP

KevinP Pen Pal - Newbie

Tablet: Asus T100

Games:

1. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood installed on external USB 3.0 HDD

Results: No matter what I did here, I couldn't get the fps above the 15-20 range. I even went into the .scr file and turned it down to 800x600, turned off a lot of effects, and it had no discernible impact. You can technically play it, but it moves like molasses.

Verdict: unplayable.

2. Civ IV installed on internal memory

Results: 1368x768 native res, high-resolution landscape textures on. 30 fps zoomed in, 60 zoomed out. This is at the very beginning of the game, so I don't know how it will handle a late-game scenario. If someone wants to upload and link a late game save I will test it out. Evidently there is some baked-in Vsync, but there is no setting for turning it off, so I don't know what the fps would be if it were.

Verdict: Plays Great

3. Call of Duty 2 installed on external USB 3.0 HDD

Results (used optimal settings preset, then turned Dynamic Lights off and set Textures to Medium, turned Sound Quality to Medium):

1368x768 resolution: 25-45 fps, dips around 20 when there is a ton of stuff going on, mostly hovers between 25-30
    1280x720 resolution: 30-50 fps, dips into the 20s when there is a ton of stuff going on, mostly hovers around 30-35
    1024x768 resolution: 35-60 fps, dipped into the 20s once or twice, mostly hovers around 35-40
    800x600 resolution: 45-75 fps, dips around 30 when there is a ton of stuff going on, mostly hovers between 45-50

You can go lower with settings and res but it's not necessary imo, even when it dips it still plays pretty smoothly

4. Eschalon Book one installed on internal memory

Results: 800x600 resolution (high as it goes), full screen, all settings high. On Direct X this gave weird results in the teens, I turned it to OpenGL and it gave a solid 60 fps.

5. Eschalon Book Two installed on internal memory

Results: 1024x768 resolution (high as it goes), full screen, all settings high. This was the reverse. On OpenGL it stuttered around in the 30s, while on DirectX it gave a solid 60 fps.

6. Half-Life installed on internal memory

Results: 1368x768 native resolution full screen, all settings high. FPS was all over the place, from the 30s to the 100s. I turned off Vsync and the performance smoothed out somewhat. Turn on lower video settings and it smooths out further. It really didn't matter what resolution settings I used, the fps jumped around no matter what. Weird.

Verdict: Plays...Okay

7. Half-Life 2 installed on USB 3.0 HDD

Results: This was the first game that I can truly say impressed me with the performance. I set it to 1368x768 native res, and used the settings in the screenshot below:

[​IMG]

With these settings, I'm getting 30-90 fps, mostly hanging around the 50 fps range on average (and in some areas a steady 60+). When I first stepped out into City 17, it dipped into the 20s for about 10 seconds, but after that jumped back up to the 40s. I played up until the point Gordon gets his suit, so I don't know how it'll handle some of the crazier moments later on, but still. Crazy.

8. Spelunky installed on internal memory

Results: 1368x768 native resolution full screen, all settings high. FPS 30-60, mostly around 60. Tried it on 1280x720 with lowered settings and got worse results :lol But it plays pretty smoothly at full settings, there isn't any real stuttering.

9. Freedom Force installed on internal memory

Results: 1368x768 resolution, full screen, all settings high. 40-60 fps, mostly 60.

10. Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich installed on internal memory

Results: 1368x768 resolution, full screen, all settings high. 30-60 fps, mostly in the 40s.

7. KevinP

KevinP Pen Pal - Newbie

Game: Fallout New Vegas (Steam version) installed on external USB 3.0 HDD

I didn't have to do nearly as much work to get this one running well.

First, download the New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE) here:

New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE)

Then, get New Vegas Stutter Remover off the Nexus mods site:

New Vegas Stutter Remover at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community

If you haven't already, download the Nexus Mod Manager and make an account there, because it really simplifies things:

Nexus mods and community

Install the NMM, then download and install the following mod for better performance:

Performance of the Gods:

Performance Of The Gods at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community

That's all I did. There are other performance-enhancing mods out there you can use, but I was satisfied just using the above. Results below, using Low settings.

1366x768 resolution: 20-30 fps, mostly around the 20-25 range.
    1280x720 resolution: 25-35 fps, mostly hovers in the 28-30 range. In Primm I got 35-40 fps at times.
    1024x768 resolution: 30-45 fps, mostly hovering between 30-35 fps.
    800x600 resolution: 30-60 fps, mostly hovering between 35-40 fps.

This is out exploring the Goodsprings area and around Primm, in the open world part of the game. Framerates will go higher in smaller spaces. At certain points it will dip into the teens at any resolution, just like Fallout 3. This will happen during "kill" cinematics, and weird places in the world (certain isolated spots in caves, buildings, etc). But it plays smoother than FO3 at any resolution. I think the stutter remover is doing a much better job here.

Verdict: Runs Great

8. KevinP

KevinP Pen Pal - Newbie

Game: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Steam version) installed on internal memory

I haven't messed around with this too much, but here's what little I did.

First, download the Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) here:

OBSE

Then, get Oblivion Stutter Remover off the Nexus mods site:

Oblivion Stutter Remover at Oblivion Nexus - mods and community

If you haven't already, download the Nexus Mod Manager and make an account there, because it really simplifies things:

Nexus mods and community

Install the NMM, then download and install the following mod for better performance:

Streamline:

Streamline at Oblivion Nexus - mods and community

That's all I did. There are other performance-enhancing mods out there you can use, but I was satisfied just using the above. Results below, using Low settings with distant buildings/trees/landscape turned on.

1366x768 resolution: All over the place from 20 to 60 fps (in isolated spots), mostly around the 20-30 range outdoors and the 25-30 range indoors. You can set the max framerate in the Stutter Remover to 30 for smoother play.
    1280x720 resolution: same as above, mostly hovers in the 25-30 range outdoors and the 40 range indoors.
    1024x768 resolution: 30-60 fps, mostly hovering around 30 fps outdoors and 40 fps indoors.
    800x600 resolution: 30-60 fps, mostly hovering between 30-40 fps outdoors and 45-60 indoors.
    640x480: 30-60 fps, mostly hovering between 35-40 fps outdoors and 50-60 indoors.

It dips around 20 in certain spots (cities) no matter the resolution, but never into the teens as far as I've seen.

Verdict: Runs Great

9. MicroByte

MicroByte Pen Pal - Newbie

Took advantage of the Rockstar Steam sales and picked up the GTA collection for $9.99. Decided to try GTA IV since I hadn't seen anyone post any videos or info about it running on the T100. Initial load with no changes failed as I expected.

I decided to look around to see if I could find some solution and did!

The game is playable with mouse and keyboard or an XBOX 360 controller.

Here's GTA IV running on the T100 with an explanation on how to get it to run in my video comments:

[video=youtube_share;Mwnh-oG6OTs]http://youtu.be/Mwnh-oG6OTs[/video]

10. KevinP

KevinP Pen Pal - Newbie

Games:

1. Call of Duty & United Offensive installed on external USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Results (using optimal settings preset):

1024x768 resolution: 35-60 fps, occasionally dips into the 20s when there is a ton of stuff going on, mostly hovers around 50-60fps

2. Half Life 2: Episodes 1 & 2 installed on external USB 3.0 Flash Drive

(using "recommended for your system" settings:

Episode One (using "recommended for your system" settings):

1368x768 resolution: 30-50 fps, dips into 20s at times, mostly hangs around the 35 range
    1280x720 resolution: 35-60 fps, dips into the 20s when there is a ton of stuff going on, mostly hovers around 40-45

Episode Two (turned off HDR and Windows Aero effects):

1368x768 resolution: 25-60 fps (dips into teens during "cutscenes," mostly hangs around the 25-30 range outside and 40s inside)
    1280x720 resolution: 35-60 fps (dips into 20s during "cutscenes," mostly hangs around the 30-35 range outside and 50s inside)

3. Left 4 Dead installed on external USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Results (used recommended settings):

1368x768 resolution: 25-50 fps, mid-20s during crescendo events and at the finales when there is a ton of stuff going on, mostly hovers around 30-35 fps
    1280x720 resolution: 35-60 fps, mid-20s during crescendo events and at the finales when there is a ton of stuff going on, mostly hovers around 40 fps