Asus RMA Adventure

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Mrono, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an ep121, and I have been experiencing the pen going unresponsive as well as touch. When my pen goes unresponsive the system says unknown device and I hear a whine coming from the bottom of the device. I called Asus today to try and get my slate replaced. I have sent it in once before for pen calibration issues and it came back with no change and it took about 30 days. I have been following the RMA thread and have seen other people get their slate replaced for the pen and touch issues.

When I called asus I spoke with a Representative who was very nice and assigned me a case number, however his manager was unavailable so he sent me to the managers voicemail where I left a message. I shall give them 6 hours then I will call to follow up.

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

why is manager to involve?

3. Mrono

Because i'm requesting a full replacement, not a repair which could take a month and not resolve the issue like the previous time. General phone support doesn't have the authorization to do a replacement, only open tickets for repairs.

4. Dev_00

Dev_00 Pen Pal - Newbie

Exact same experience. Paid the shipping costs for the privilege of them not fixing a thing on my slate. It's like Asus is going out of their way to get their customers to hate them. I wouldn't hold your breath for that call back, though.

5. Mrono

it hasn't come twice, i'm going to start raising some hell if it happens again.

6. Dev_00

Dev_00 Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't let the representative get you off the phone. That's all they're trying to do. Make sure you hold your ground and demand that a manager speak to you while you are on the line, as they have clearly been only looking to get rid of you and you know that no one is going to call you back. Unfortunately, there is only so much that the manager can do, from my experience. Asus outsourced their customer service and crippled their ability to actually do anything (ridiculous). Make sure you document who you are speaking to and at what times.

7. Pirohmaniac

Pirohmaniac Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's an idea. BestBuy replaced my first one because of this. Dell did my Dads Alienware for a similar problem.
    Keep telling them about your problem. Maybe tell them you're on bios 401. Hopefully they tell you to update the bios. Keep the email telling you to do so or get names if you're on the phone.
    Download the 501 (I used 401 but I doubt it matters much) and extract it. Boot the tablet with a keyboard attached so you can get to the cmos. Use the EZflash option, select the file you downloaded (501 and 401 gave me an error when I selected them, wrong model or something) and flash it. It should brick so bad it won't even charge, at least mine did. It wrote over the BootBlock too which is supposed to be a no-no but means they can't reflash yours.
    Anyway, tell them and forward the email if they don't believe you were told to flash it.

Why does it brick? No idea. Winflash likes the files but says that my bios is newer.

Don't forget to back up your files first!

Apparently my case was shown to a manager of the service center and he said to replace it. I didn't contact him directly though so who knows.

8. Mrono

So I RMA'd it because I was tired of them not calling me back. Shipped it on the 23'rd (about, don't remember atm) and I got a notification from asus saying it was shipped back today. I was worried because the turn around time was so fast so I called up a CS rep and questioned the fast turn around time. He said that in the notes it says that the screen was 're-assembled' (was it in pieces, wtf) and nothing else. No notes about my jacked up wifi/bt, pen holder. If I get it back and it's not in perfect condition i'm calling them and not getting off the phone until i have someone who can do something about my problem actually do something about my problem.

I like that bit about the bios flashing, don't know if i'd try it though.

Is ~1 day turn around time possible for an actual repair with multiple screen issues, pen holder wouldn't stay shut, wifi/bt disconnecting?

EDIT: one more thing, the rep I spoke with when i created my RMA said they requested 'rush processing' or something along those lines.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd just wanted to add my own little experience with ASUS...when I asked why they wouldn't provide a pre-paid shipping label for the RMA, they told me they don't cover the shipping costs for 'tablets or mobile devices'.

I responded that ASUS covers the shipping costs for all their EEE PC line of netbooks, as well as their notebooks. Does it make sense that a $1000+ device with notebook internals is not covered, simply because it has a slate form factor?

He responded 'it's company policy' and neither him nor his manager can override it...

Are they trying to discourage early adopters for Win7 slates? If you want to build a market for niche product, 'policy' like this is not the way to go.

10. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

f##king bull##it man! that is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. That kind of things make me want to kill this people, because you know, that they know, that it's nonesense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.