Asus R50a UMPC Now Available

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Tiffany Boggs, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Asus has finally made the R50a UMPC available. We first broke news of this UMPC in January after CES 2008. During the hands-on time we had with the R50a I could tell it was a solid UMPC with a nice design, but it seems the price is way more than expected.

[​IMG]

Asus R50a specs:

Intel Atom 1.33GHz processor[/li]
      5.8-inch touchscreen[/li]
      1GB RAM[/li]
      32GB SSD[/li]
      Windows Vista OS[/li]
      Integrated 3G HSDPA[/li]
      Wi-Fi and Bluetooth[/li]

The R50a UMPC could be a great Internet travel companion, but its price tag is $1,839. Unfortunately I don't think this is a good idea for Asus. If they lower the price then yes, but with all the Netbooks and Eee PC having a way cheaper price tag the R50a is a hard buy to justify. For more information check out Asus website.

Via GottaBeMobile

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I hope they decide to drop the price by removing the ssd and adding a 4200/ 5400rpm hdd instead. That way they can cut costs by at least $300.

EDIT: and also vista is going to be pretty slow with only 1gb of ram :(

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes, the price is ridiculous, you don't even get an active digitizer.
    Something around 1000$ would be a good price for such a device.

But to be honest even for 1000$ I wouldn't buy such a device. For something around 300$-500$, to replace my mobile phone with it and a BT headset, yes, that's a possibility, but I have a mobile tablet already which was quite expensive, I have a mobile phone which is "outdated" but still ok, so I don't really need this and especially not for this high price.
    For less, yes, maybe to replace my mobile phone, for the 1800$, no way, for something around 1000$ then maybe some people buy this as a better organizer.

PS: How's the battery life. I hope more than 6 hours.

4. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

Asus needs to take a closer look at the current market and reassess

For the price of this unit I could by the U820 (get better everything), buy a nice net book, and get a top of the line PDA phone (HTC PRO).

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

If it was an xga screen with an active digitizer, I could see it having some customers, but it probably has sxga resolution, a passive digitizer, and standard atrocious Asus battery life. Still though, if money was not a problem, I'd get one.

Oh, and I doubt that ssd is anything special, and not going to save $300. No reason for a high speed ssd in something with a slow processor and inferior graphics.

6. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Probably right. Once i get out of college and save up some $$ i will get a UMPC. For now, i am poor. The ssd in that thing is probably poor as you said.

On the bright side, by the time i am finished, ssd's will be cheap :p. that, and so will a sony UX that i will readily mod the hell out of.

7. wshwe

wshwe Pen Pal - Newbie

Netbooks have made both UMPCs and MIDs irrelevant.

8. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Hardly. Most netbooks are a joke. If you like paying more for a stripped down laptop, then by all means, get a netbook. The problem with umpc's is the price. If they could get the price of a umpc down to $500 with cell phone capability and a ssd, it'd be quite attractive, but alas, they're much more expensive.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Netbooks made UMPCs more relevant. Netbooks are basically UMPCs in mini notebook clothing without digitizers after all. UMPCs <> Netbooks now have the same relationships as Tablet PCs <> Laptops. Laptops certainly does not make Tablet PCs irrelevant, and neither does Netbooks to UMPCs.

MIDs were irrelevant the moment they were conceived as X86 hardware web wifi PDAs. Netbooks have nothing to do with it. Smartphones pre-emptively killed them even before they were conceived.