Asus R2h's Double Capacity Battery - Real weight and thickness

Discussion in 'Asus' started by The Niles, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, well I've had a lot of inquires about the US package and everyone of course loves that we're shipping the units with the "4 hours" double capacity battery - rather than the "2 hour" standard battery the Europeans and Asians are getting.... However, some people aren't grasping the fact that this adds a bit of weight and a little thickness. I don't have the standard battery to weigh anymore and if I knew it wasn't going to come with the US model, I would have weight the demo from this summer...

Anyway.. if anyone has a weight on the standard battery that they can provide.. that would help.

US model with 6860mAh battery:

Battery weight: 13.4oz (0.84lbs)
    Unit weight: 23.9oz (1.49lbs)
    Unit w/ Battery weight: 37.4oz (2.34lbs)

Unit thickness w/ standard battery: 1.125"
    Unit thickness w/ double capacity battery: 1.25"

So, it really doesn't add that much... but it doubles the battery life and comes as part of the same priced package.... so it's quite a good deal. However, just because some people have mentioned it - we're going to get in some standard batteries as an option accessory... it'll take about a month to get those in.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually Justin, the European market gets BOTH the standard and extended batteries as part of the package.
    I obtained this information from both ASUS UK and if you enquire with independent traders this is confirmed.
    Incidentally, the UK package consists of:-
    ASUS R2H
    2xbatteries ~ 1x6860mAh, 1x3430mAh
    DVDRW Optical Drive
    Mini Mouse
    Targus Keyboard ~ ASUS name stamped on the keyboard
    12V Car Charger ~ will be removed though from next shipments due 10Nov.
    Protective Sleeve Case
    Stand
    Software ~ including MS Autoroute 2006 for GPS

Bluetooth is now built in and not the USB key as was in original package.

3. PROPortable

Included in the package is EVERY option? Come on... seriously? What's the price? The keyboard, car charger and extra battery make up for more than $200 USD in cost.... so, I'm just curious.

4. P8RSON

Justin,
    I am not in the habit of exagerating any truths.
    Please feel free to contact one such supplier I spoke with.

Below is an email I received on the 26 Oct 206 from asusnotebooks.co.uk part of the EWorld Direct Group.

Sales Asus Notebooks <sales@asusnotebooks.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Mike,
    In response to your queries as follows;

Battery ~ Which size.. is it the large 6860mAh or the smaller 3430mAh. Or are you shipping it with 2 x batteries. If so again what sizes
    Ans. &#8211; 3 cell and a 6 cell battery

Keyboard & Mouse...
    Ans. - yes

DVDRW Optical Drive..
    Ans. - yes external usb

12V Car Charger...
    Ans. - yes

Sleeve Case...
    Ans. - yes

Mobile Theatre Remote Controller (the remote controller being the item in question)...
    Ans. not supplied

Software ~ what software is included?
    Ans - navigation software and windows

Bluetooth ~ Finally, there has been a lot of talk that the UK models being shipped do not have bluetooth built in but are being shipped with a bluetooth USB key.
    Can you confirm the one you ship is the type with bluetooth built in
    Ans. &#8211; now our version has bluetooth built in.

Hope that answers your queries,

Best Regards

Sales
    EWorld Direct
    TEL: +44 (0) 87 00 11 4321
    EMAIL: sales@eworlddirect.co.uk
    WEBSITES:
    www.eworlddirect.co.uk
    www.asusnotebooks.co.uk
    www.diskstation.co.uk
    www.powercolour.co.uk
    www.msinotebooks.co.uk
    www.igamesworld.com
    (more e-shops coming soon!)
    c/o EWorld Direct Ltd
    A UK Registered, Vat Registered Company

If you hop on over to here, you will find the R2H being offered and the UK price.
    Again, if you disbelieve my comments, you are free to contact them and ask.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. PROPortable

Tou just anaswer your own statement.... I'm not sure how the hell that helps... honestly. what's the price is my question.

6. P8RSON

As I said, the price can be found here.
    But if you need it without looking it is &#163;719.28 or $1,367.21 USD

...and yes, this is more than the $200 you mention but in my first post all I said was "incidently, the UK package consists of:-"

I'm not questioning who has the best prices here...
    All I was originally saying was the UK market comes with BOTH batteries.. and this is what you get with the package.

You don't get an option as to what the package consists of.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. PROPortable

ok, so it's $367 more... like I said about.. it's at least $200 more...

I know what you're saying, I'm just saying that there is a limit to what "standard" is and what "optional" becomes........ you "get" all that extra stuff, but you pay for it... and there's a lot of stuff the US market simply wouldn't pay for on the norm.............. however, it's nice to have it has an extra..... In the US we're competing against the crappy Samsung Q1... which we can match price wise and beat in EVERY other category.... so, I don't know.. but for the US market, that sub $1000 price tage is more important. I don't agree with it, but that's what WE have to care about........ Thanks for giving me that price though.. that should bring over even more UK customers to us - especially those that don't want all the extra stuff that they'll never use.

8. P8RSON

No problem Justin... It often annoys the hell out of me why we in the UK get hit so hard on purchases.

We either pay extra for goods purchased in the UK or on importation duty, customs & excise etc.

As an example; I purchased an item at the beginning of the year from the US.
    When the item arrived into the UK, it then went through customs, customs applied a levy, passed it on to the postal service and the postal service then sent me a letter informing me if I wished the item to be delivered I would have to pay the duty and additional delivery costs.
    This then took the costs from being reasonable to excessive with no gain whatsoever.

There is a big reason items are expensive in the UK and most of that is down to the government.
    Even items can be found in Europe much cheaper.
    As such, we get hit hard with 'extra payments' for certain imported goods.

It would be nice to shop from the US, it's just that it can be frustrating as one waits with anticipation once it gets into the country.

9. PROPortable

No no... people complain about buying stuff here in the US - either people are cheap or have no money...... so anything is higher than what they want it to be..... but there are two things I know a lot about that are cheaper in the US than anywhere else in the world... those would be Asus' notebooks.... and Audi's cars..... Audi's are more expensive in the UK than here. ........ and Asus' notebooks are more expensive in Taiwan than here...

10. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

Fortunately ASUS products are well priced in NA. In my experience many people have erroneously dismissed them as inferior due to their price point