Asus R2h & Gps

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by pdriver, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone who has either used or owns the R2H has been successful in using the GPS of this device.

I tried one today and could not get the GPS to find any satellites.

There is apparenly a trick in that you first need to start the GPS before launching Autoroute (or whatever software used for route planning).
    Anyway, regardless... I simply could not get the GPS to function.

Any takers for a debate on this :)

2. P8RSON

Just an update in case anyone is considering purchasing one of these.....

If you require GPS, be in for a 'problematic' time!

Despite starting the GPS in different ways, I have been 'TOTALLY' unable to get the R2H to find any satellites nor kick-start into life (by GPS).

I heard through another forum that the initial initialisation is slow and requires 20-30minutes before use.

Despite leaving the device out in the open on a clear sky for nearly 2hrs. it failed.

I have sent an email off to asus tech support to see what they can do.

3. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

That's very true.... It probably needs a good 20 minutes, but you need to make sure you turned the gps on - it should be on Com1 I believe..

4. P8RSON

Actually Justin, I have already mentioned in my post above the GPS device was left switched on out in the open for a period of nearly 2hrs.

Re the COM port, it's COM2 baud 4800.

I'm currently trying VisualGPS with very little sucess at the moment and getting less and less impressed by the minute......

5. Blowfish

Blowfish Pen Pal - Newbie

Do the U.S. models have any problems with getting GPS working?

How's the typical satellite acquisition time once the GPS has been configured and working?

6. macjake

macjake Pen Pal - Newbie

I was having problems also....make sure you start from "out of the box state" to make sure it is not something else...use program launcher and choose gps....open up gps switch enable the gps and hit apply...leave the switch window open (don't know if this matters but it worked for me). Launch Streets and trips. Open up the GPS pannel. Click configure GPS. Scan for GPS devices Mine is found on Com2. Highlight gps and then "ok". Now check mark "start GPS tracking".

Make sure you are outside. Under the compass you should see signal bars. My map centered on me in less than a minute the first time I was outside. I think after this first time It will be quicker and will handle more interfearence (as mine can pick me up inside my house now....good luck...now If I can only get WPA to work.....see my saga at http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20061205161035449&board_id=3&model=R2H&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

7. P8RSON

reference my post above dated 13 Nov.... I eventually got my GPS to finally work.

All that was required in the end was persistence in simply leaving the unit on and on.... and on... and on, until eventually after four hours (yes 4hrs.) it finally found a signal.

From that day onwards, whenever I now switch on the GPS, it finds a signal practically immediately.

Am I happy with this UMPC.... you betcha I am :)))

8. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried to get the GPS to work on my unit a few times but it never did until I used it outside the house. It found a fix in a few seconds but once I entered the house again the fix was lost. I hope the same will not apply for the car. Not that I bought this thing for the GPS.

I still find the R2H usefull but it is restricted in a lot of ways as well.

9. P8RSON

Agree but it's all a question of how you use the device really.
    After all, it's not a full blown tablet or laptop. :)

10. Blowfish

Blowfish Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe that most GPS units need to be able to "see" satellites, such as having the antenna being able to "look up" thru a car's windshield when sitting on/near the dash. I know that my Garmin C330 (on dash auto model) GPS unit loses reception if I'm underneath an overpass for any period of time, then picks it up again when "in the clear." I would imagine that most GPS units won't work inside a house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.