ASUS R2H available and just ?700

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 23, 2006.

1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whilst doing a bit of browsing on del.icio.us today I came across a video from the CeBIT06 Handover Show carried out by Gizmodo.

It shows an ASUS representative demonstrating how not to be a representative!!

In other words, he clearly didn't have a clue about the machine in general.

Click here for links to the video.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

That was quite painful to watch...

Interesting device though, GPS and things, might be useful in my car if I could figure out how to configure it.

3. P8RSON

If you are talking about configuring the GPS, bear in mind this device runs on Windows XP Tablet Ed.
    As such any GPS software will have to run on this.

ASUS are naming different software titles for the appropriate country in use, as in the UK they say Autoroute.
    However, I am looking at the likes of Ordinance Survey Data in the guise of Memory Map.
    That way it will be able to do 'Off-Road' as well as the more conventional driving titles.

4. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

In terms of car use, it's easy...... I prototyped a car dock for our project car this summer........ once I get it finalized though with the production units we got last week and get it looking got - hopefully we an get it produced........ it's as easy if it's stationary in the car as my pioneer head AVIC is to use.

5. PROPortable

Just as a note (and I'll post this around), but the standard US configuration of the R2h is coming with the double capacity battery instead of the "standard" shipping around the world. This means the battery is slightly heavier, but will give about 4 hours of life instead of 2.

"standard" - 3430mAh Polymer, 24W/hr (2 hours life)
    "optional" - 6860mAh Polymer, 48W/hr (4 hour life)

We're not getting the standard battery at all - or at least at this time. This change apparently was made for the same reasons all of the US notebooks now will NOT come with their smaller European couterparts (3 cells instead of 6 cells for the 13" and smaller notebooks), because the slightly added weight (and I'm talking just a few ounces - doesn't cost much more from the factory, but does double the life which is more important to this market.

Oh... and just to help ease what some people heard about a batch of UK R2h's - the bluetooth is installed on our models and I've tested it out.

6. P8RSON

Justin, you need to update your web page to reflect the battery. Your still showing it as the lower Standard 3430mAh.

As to the UK BT issue. Thankfully this has now been ironed out. No further non-BT models are being shipped and ASUS are sorting out the problem for the limited batch that was sold to customers.

7. PROPortable

I had them make a notice at the top of the page, but I'll go through and adjust it....

Also, I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but it's coming with the vga out cable as well.... basically a lot more than we were supposed to get.