ASUS R1F + Vista + Big Problem with screen brightness

Discussion in 'Asus' started by leewalk, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dns

*dns Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

I have the following Problem with my Asus R1F:

I somehow have managed to turn down the screen brightness of my R1F with Vista. Unfortunately there is no way to turn the brightness back to maximum. In fact, i cannot adjust it at all. Even though I have put alle sliders in the energy management menu of vista and in Power4Gear to maximum, nothing ever changes. The screen just stays very dark. Even while booting or when I'm in the BIOS Menu, the screen brightness stays very dark.

Today I decided to format it all and install Vista completely new. But no change... the screen is very dark, all sliders are set to maximum brightness and I cannot change a thing. I'm pretty frustrated by now. I figured it might have had something to do with Power4Gear not working fine under Vista 64 bit, but even after reinstalling Windows without Power4Gear it doesn't work.

What else can I try? What am I forgetting?

I hope someone can help me :(

Thank you very much in advance.
    Dennis

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you try the screen brightness controls on the keyboard? You can also adjust brightness through the mobility centre.

Also, Power4gear on Vista is completely unnecessary. The Windows Mobility Centre does everything better than P4G.

3. *dns

*dns Pen Pal - Newbie

today I talked to the customer support and he said that the ATKACPI Driver should enable the brightness control keys on the keyboard. But they don't work even tough I have installed all needed drivers. He then said that there must be some kind of harware problem then and that I would have to send it in for repair. His analysis seemed a bit too quick for me. Maybe somebody here as alternative ideas on how I might try to fix it softwarewise in order to avoid the repair procedure.

4. Ris

Ris Pen Pal - Newbie

I will comment that although my brightness shortcuts appear to be working correctly, my maximum brightness in general appears to be very low running vista. I would think nothing of this if I had not seen one review of a R1F running XP with what seemed like eye-melting brightness.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

dns,
    What is the screen brightness like when you drop down into the BIOS?
    If the screen is still dark when you are not in Windows, then it could well be that you have a hardware problem.

6. *dns

*dns Pen Pal - Newbie

The brightness stays low. Even while booting or in the BIOS nothing changes.

Are there any chances a BIOS Update might help with this problem? I'm still running an older version...

Thanks for your help!

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To be frank, you should not need a BIOS update to enable you to increase the screen brightness.

What happens when you plug in the mains power..... does the screen level alter (even the slightest).
    The reason I say this is both mains and battery power has two separate screen brightness levels.
    Depending upon what you set each at they should differ.
    Therefore, if you notice a difference between the two now then at least we can rule out a hardware failure.

8. *dns

*dns Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, here's an update!

I actually CAN change my Screen Brightness with the FN F5+F6 Keys during booting or when I'm in the BIOS Menu. But it still doesn't work while running Windows vista.

I would like to give it another try, and need some of your help.

I am planning to format everything again and install Vista completely new. Can you guys confirm, that when you installed a brand new Vista and all the drivers from the "Treiber CD" from asustreiber.de that then the screen brightness is adjustable with the FN Keys as well as with the software brightness controller in the energy management of vista?

I am pretty sure there is not much I can do wrong with this procedure. I am going to install it, and before I do anything else, I will install everything from the "Treiber CD".

If it still doesn't work, I will most likely just throw it out of the window :)

Thanks in advance!

9. leewalk

leewalk Microsoft Guy

Screen brightness control works fine for me on Vista x64 using both the Power Options control panel and using Fn-F5/F6.

Have you install the ATK driver and ATK app?

Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.