asus r1f video limitations

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 3, 2006.

1. brady748

brady748 Pen Pal - Newbie

Im considering my first tablet (it'll actually be my first laptop as well). Ive been doing hordes of research, including this great forum. Im heavily considering the asus r1f but Im trying to find out what the limitations of the integrated video card are. Im not planning on doing any maya or cad or 3d work, and im not much of a gamer. However, I would like to work with photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, and also do some video editing and production. Does anyone know if the integrated intel card can handle that or know any laptops with similar cards I could compare?? I'd really appreciate it, im trying to research on my own and learn but I know very little about video cards (despite knowing a fair amount about everything else).

Also, does anyone know if there are similar laptops / tablets that use the screen the r1 will have? Im trying to compare the feel of the screen on the pen and how much glare / brightness we'll get from the screen.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brady

2. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

The work you are talking about seems more RAM intensive than video card intensive. Max out the ram and you'll probably be fine. The R1F is the only tablet PC with a 13" Wide screen.

3. crowbar

crowbar Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, your usage as described is mostly 2d stuff so the integrated card should do a decent job provided you have 1GB or more memory. The integrated cards usually use a portion of the system memory. For the integrated GMA 950 you should be able to set the max allowed memory usage from bios. The max is up to 224MB, but many laptops that come with factory 512MB have this set to 128MB by default to guarantee that enough memory remains availabe to the system. Not sure how much difference this would make in the applications you mentioned, but since it will only use as much as it needs anyway and won't needlessly hog it, you might want to set this to 224MB if you have 1G RAM.

4. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

The GMA950 is great for 2d use and will also run older 3d apps very well (Quake3 @90fps). It has been reported to run Vista's Aero Glass accelerated desktop very well as well. It should be more than sufficient for your purposes.

5. storebror

storebror Scribbler - Standard Member

doesn´t R1F have the 945GM ?? Is there a big difference?

6. Griff_GA

Griff_GA Pen Pal - Newbie

storebror

I think that the 945GM is actually the chipset on the R1F's motherboard. That is a bit different from the actual graphics chip which is contained in the R1F, the Intel 950 Media Accelerater. Intel should have really named it something else because sometimes it does get confusing at times.

7. storebror

storebror Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for clearing it up for me...I do believe you´re correct, but at the swedish Asus site they do have put both the chipset and the graphics up as 945GM ^^

8. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Brady,

Believe it or not, intel's latest integrated graphics are actually quite nice...... especially when you consider the form factor... If it were 3Ds Max or Maya or hardcore gaming, I'd say you're pushing you luck trying to get a tablet to really do everything, but in terms of photoshop and dreamweaver... it's not going to be a problem, as long as the physical size of a 13" screen isn't going to be limiting in your own opinion..

9. brady748

brady748 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks everyone for their input. Great info.

Does anyone know of a screen that is similar to the R1F in appearance / feel? Im considering the Toshiba M7 as well. The only significant trade off I find is the R1f has the optical drive bay (which I'd love), but the M7 has integrated video (I eventually might want to do some 3D work) and I have a chance to test the M7 out at the local Best Buy so I know what Im getting (which is a nice plus).

Thanks all for your help.
    Brady

10. Steveoph

Steveoph Pen Pal - Newbie

I find that I barely use the optical bay drive in my M7, but the discrete graphics card is definitely coming in handy.