Asus R1F Tablet PC One Step Closer to Release

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Barry J. Doyle, May 28, 2006.

1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[​IMG]
    (view large image)

[​IMG]
    (view large image)

Engadget.com reports that the Asus R1F Tablet PChas made it through the FCC testing phase. We first spotted this convertible Tablet PC model back in January at CES in Las Vegas. Besides the Core Duo processor, this exciting convertible Tablet PC offers a widescreen display. Coming from a top notch manufacturer like Asus, the R1F should be an outstanding new device to add to the list for new Tablet PC releases. More on release dates to come, check back soon!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

It looks like Asus, too, is using the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 graphics chipset.

If you look at Internal Photo PDF #3, Pg. 61; the first photo; that is the Intel Express Chipset; it has a serial number, called the 'S-Spec', of 'SL8Z2' in the second row of numbers.

Doing a Google search shows it up as the Intel Mobile 945GM Express Chipset that supports only the GMA 950 Graphics Chipset (The Intel Mobile 945PM Express Chipset supports dedicated graphics cards from ATI or nVidia).

EDIT: Oh, just looked at the photo again, and in the first line it shows the following: 945GM.
    ---
    SL8Z2 S-Spec Source: Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family Spec Update PDF (Page 8)

4. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your help. I was hoping that it would be integrated anyhow (I just want some 3D on my tablet, just enough to run Vista), I know many other on here are hoping that it would be ATI or something like that.

5. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

SimsHsia, you just ruined my day.

BUT, I did a little research of my own.
    This shows that the 945GM chipset can still use discrete graphics. The 945GMS is the one that can't have discrete graphics.

This in mind... it doesn't look good though. I doubt they'd use the 945GM if they had discrete graphics too. Maybe multiple version?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

My apologies for any ruined days, and thanks for correcting me. :)

And you never know, Asus might come out with two versions of the R1F; we'll all just have to wait and see.

However, this model of the R1F, I did not see any chipsets from either ATI or nVidia, and therefore it has the GMA 950.

7. pimpmeister

pimpmeister Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyways, we'll most likely be briefed on the final specs in computex (sp?) in Taiwan, that begins 6th june. I would prefer this tablet with nvidia graphics though, because theire consumer chipsets are more stable in apps like Maya.

8. dukefan6842

dukefan6842 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

I hear this won't be out until the end of July.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member