ASUS R1F Review from Sydney, Australia

Discussion in 'Asus' started by drdruish, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Ahhh, mystery explained - I was rather worried there for a moment.
    For some reason, it reminded me of one of those stand up penguin toys dogs have - it just keep rocking back and forth until it settles in. And I thought that that would be quite an inconvient thing for a tablet.

2. tuur

tuur Pen Pal - Newbie

hi there,
    I'm very interested in the R1F but I'm not a tablet user at this moment.
    in fact, i've got no experience with tablet pc's at all.

Why I'm thinking buying a tablet is to takes notes in meeting with my customers (I'm a banking and insurance broker), so that I can save the notes in my digital customer databank and reduce the papers in my office.

What I want to ask you guys is if writing or scribling a Tablet PC is just as convenient, easy and clear as on a paper? I'm always thinking that writing a Tablet PC is like trying to write your name in the old MSFT software Paint.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks a lot!

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Writing using a tablet is nothing like what you have experienced with MS Paint.
    For a start you have dedicated software that has the ability to understand handwriting and convert it to text.
    The software therefore has to have a greater control of input and screen update points.
    The screen, unlike a laptop or monitor has the benefit of a graininess which helps in giving resistance for the pen.
    Finally the pen is obviously better at writing than a mouse.

4. Tsukiyomi

The biggest advantage of using a tablet (at least for me) is that its inituitive, lines show up exactly under your pen, it gives you so much control over the cursor when working in graphics programs (PS, Maya, Illustrator, etc.) but saves on the amount of paper I have in my engineering classes by just using OneNote to jot down formulas. I can't be entirely paperless, since I still need to turn in things, but I can be pretty close to it - take pictures using a high resolution camera of class hand outs and textbooks, print out my own handwriting for things to turn in.

Hope that helps - at least on the cutting down on paper and clutter aspects of life.

5. soydeedo

soydeedo Pen Pal - Newbie

hey, supernova. thanks for this first look at the r1f. =)

i'm left with only one question left now: how does the screen stand up to sunlight? you mention that it's bright, but i'd like to know how it actually fares in direct sunlight and in the shade. i'm sick of being pasty white. =P

-s

6. drunkencactus

drunkencactus Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the review supernova,

I am in Melbourne Australia, and am wondering what shop and price you purchased the tablet from? I notice u didnt mention this so please PM me the details if u feel more comfortable.

This is my first time buying a tablet, or any type of laptop for that matter - but after using a tablet I think I was instantly drawn towards it.
    As an avid drawer and a dabller in graphic arts, a tablet seems like the right choice for me from the mobile pc pool.

I have some concerns about the quality of the sketching/drawing abilities of any tablets - as i have not really had the chance to use drawing tools on a tablet yet.
    I have a wacom tablet at home, and the sign that wacom technology is integrated into this model is a good one.

1. Have you had any experience with drawing, sketching or doodling? I wonder how the R1F performs for these types of tasks.

2. The stylus pen photograph shows quite terrible scratches, as you mentioned in your review, but I didnt expect them to be this bad. Is this caused by the rough interior of the pen slot - or by the edges of the exit hole? Perhaps u can smooth the edge of the exit hole with a small file?

3. Do you know if u can use any other types of stylus pens with this tablet (would they fit in the whole, lol) and can u get multi button ones that would also work?

Reply much appreciated,

-DC

7. Tsukiyomi

Hey DC

I can answer some of your questions from experience with other tablets:
    1. Drawing, sketching, doodling, using Maya, using a pen to directly manipulate whatever is underneath the pen is very easy to pick up. It's such an improvement over the Wacom tablet that I used to use - it's bigger and and you can see what you're doing, its much like using a Cintiq.
    3. I know for a fact that Cintiq pens work with the Penabled tablets and from all reports, the R1F is a penabled tablet, so they would work too (I used to use a dual switch pen with my old tablet). About fitting other stylus pens into the hole, its unlikely - the multibutton and Cintiq pens are too wide in diameter to fit into the hole.

8. pinky

pinky Pen Pal - Newbie

nice review, thanks :)

but i'm looking forward to more reviews...as i hope that the scratching penholder is unique or at least fixed for europe :p

can anyone tell something about the vista upgrade coupon program mentioned in the current news (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=3378)?
    i mean it says that it will begin @ october 26th, and the delivery date for the asus r1f in germany/austria is 25th of october (confirmed is only mid-october; but we'll see), so will the coupon be included with the r1f?

9. motherofinvention

motherofinvention Pen Pal - Newbie

Two quick questions, please. (And, thanx for the great review) I have never owned a tablet pc and am very interested in the ASUS R1F. I am switching to a tablet becuz I am a writer and my "creativity" is much better when I'm using a "pen." THe other thing I need, however, is to use it as a portable DVD player as well. PLEASEA HELP! Would love your opinion (or anyone's, for that matter.)

10. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm like you, also creative. The tablet is perfect. And as a DVD player it is sweet. It's portable and the output quality is great. It doesn't have a shiny screen so it won't look as nice but it works perfectly with DVDs. The battery time can last a DVD, esp. with the power saving options. I was going to suggest getting a second battery but you can't, as you need to take out the DVD player to accomodate the second batt - BUT then again you could simply copy the DVD movie to your harddrive (up to 8Gb max for a movie) then add a second battery. There's always an answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.