ASUS R1F Review from Sydney, Australia

Discussion in 'Asus' started by drdruish, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the review!

Just a quick question: when you mean the screen wobbles in the natural position, do you mean when you open it up like a laptop and type on it?

(I have one ordered, and screen wobble is one of my peeves)

2. rccollins

rccollins Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering the same thing, do you mean that when its in laptop mode it wobbles alot? I'm hoping you mean it just isnt 100% rock solid in stillness.

Also I know it was asked earlier but hows battery life for this model? Oh and does the wacom pen have 2 side buttons or just one side button, those creeps better not have just stuck 1 button there or I'll have to go bakersfield chimp on asus.

Are you pretty happy with your purchase? I cant tell if your happy or if all the downsides are really bugging you. I'm all but ready to pick this model up from milestonepc.com, the available version is not quite as powerful as the one your describing but that cant really be helped lest I wait another 2 months for a suitable product. Anybody else in the same boat about to pick up the model from milestonepc?

take a look at the specs
    $1800 plus about $30 shipping, this is one of the only places you can get this thing anytime soon if you live in america. I think Im gonna go for it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

Awesome review and amazing delivery time on this new machine! Dude, we'll pay you if you can post pics with a digital camera, just PM an admin (such as myself or Barry) and we can work it out.

4. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, you can get it at PROportable as well. They're probably the best company to get ASUS stuff from since that's all they do! They know their stuff..

also have a discount program
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=3322

www.proportable.com

can't wait to get the R1F.. even though we don't get the same specs! very lucky for them...!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. rccollins

Im sure Proportable is fine but they are delivering the same model type I believe. I would like one with a better processor type but I think I'm out of luck.

Also I'm part of the group buy with milestonepc which has some benefits that make it a bit more apealing than going with proportable. Unless they want to price match me or offer some sort of equalization(wink wink)

6. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I can confirm that ProPortable has the same model type as milestonepc. Since its only an Ensemble model right now, the US one is noncustomizable, but it has a 1.66 C2D, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, DVD Burner, BT 2.0. All for $1800, which is better in cost per "cool thing" than any other tablet I found so far.

The only thing I'm worried about is that wobbling, which was one reason I had to return a Gateway tablet before, the screen just wobbled so much I thought I would break it.

7. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

if it's possible, a short video of this "wobbling" would quell or confirm our wobbling fears.

8. qpwoeipt

qpwoeipt Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

Finaly a english review, very nice supernova! The only review I know is the one in czeh here.
    http://notebook.cz/__/,clanky,recenze-notebook,2006,asus-r1f,index.html

Could you tell us the size and weight of the tablet? Because normaly anounced sizes and weight don't match the real ones. For example in the czeh review they aparently say this tablet is 315 x 250 x 35 mm and in asus site they say is 317 x 232 x 35 mm :confused:

By the way could you comfirm is the presented carrying bag and protection bag are the same as presented in here in specifications http://event.asus.com/2006/nb/r1/eng/

And the bluetooth mouse could you tell us the model.
    Some pictures of all we would be nice.

Thanks again for the review.
    :cool:

9. rccollins

I had little to no luck translating the czech review to english the pictures are very nice though.

My guess is the width range is different for the following reason: the 232mm measurement is from one end to the other end of the notebook lip, and the longer 250mm size is a measurement to the tip of where that rotating hinge protrudes. (i hope that makes sense) see what I mean? only a guess though

10. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

Pressure wise the pen is great. Write softly and the marks are slight, write harder and the marks become more thicker. Not sure about writing near the edges, don't think there'd be any problems though. Hovering the pen above the screen also works like a mouse - I think a common feature with all tablets.

The plastic finish is solid, it just looks fake because they painted it metallic. If it was another colour I think it would have looked better. I haven't seen the V3000 sorry. And with DVD watching. You would need to sit about 1m away max to get good viewing and sound. This is not something you would replace your TV and entertainment system with, sit back 3m and enjoy. Just not built for it. But really, which tablet PC out there is? I reckon it'd be another 2 years before they make tablet PCs worthy of entertainment systems. They're really made for business purposes (ASUS class them in their Business Notebooks category).

One thing I can say is that because this machine has such as strong CPU and the embedded graphics is quite decent, I had absolutely no skipping or jagging or any distortions at all when watching. It was a perfect output of the movie. And if you use WinDVD 6 or above with the Tridimensions technology, you get really nice, sharp movies on the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.