ASUS R1F-K018E Mini-Review...and Problems.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jinobi, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

Update:
    Unfortunately, the 501-8a drivers did not fix my "corner problem". I've also tried a different tip, and no change. Next step is looking at different touch pad drivers, I guess.

2. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

A hard drive only clicks for one reason: Damage to the read/write heads and/or the platters. It may not sound like a big problem but the clicking will turn into grinding and will eventually completely ruin your hard drive.

You need to call Asus immediately and inform them of the problem and if you have an external hard drive I reccomend backing up all of your data before it is lost forever.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

That's correct.

If there's clicking from the hard drive, there's serious trouble abound in the time to come. Your system may not seem to be in trouble, but sooner or later, that hard drive will cease to function (it basically dies, stops spinning, even the unable to find C:/Windows error comes up during the boot up process). This is a common failure with hard drives when you start to hear clicking noises, other than the usual grumbling sound one hears when booting into Windows or loading a program.

You should be under Asus' warranty, and I concur with thaluckyspoon's advice of contacting Asus Support as soon as possible to send in your unit for repair, or, if possible, take out the hard drive, and Asus ships you a new hard drive and you send it back, and install the new hard drive yourself. Most likely you have a computer network account - or if you have a flash drive - you can backup some of the files you require now in your courses, and you can access it via computer labs when needed until either your repaired R1F returns or a new hard drive comes to your door step.

4. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh yea, I've already talked to ASUS a while ago. Seems that I can just remove my hard drive, and just ship it to them. The thing is, the tech guy there warned me that I could potentially void the warranty if they can tell that I removed the hard drive.

The procedure, as far as I can tell, is to remove the two screws by the hard drive bay and just take out the hard drive caddy from its slot, right?

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well the tech guy needs to read up on 'rules for warranties'!

Yes, the hard drive is covered by warranty but that doesn't mean to say you can not take the drive out.

It's just like adding RAM, you open the trap door via a couple of screws, add/take out whatever you are doing and re-screw.... job done... no warranty effected.

6. Monkey

Monkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all. After searching and searching for help on this, I found this thread.

I too have the issue of the 'sticky corners'. I also had found out, like a previous user said, to flip the stylus and drag the cursor out of the corner. It works, but it is extremely annoying, and gives me a 5% chance of either minimizing, maximizing, or closing a program. Forget about calibration. I can't go two points without it 'freezing' up. I'm running XP tablet (got tired of vista - and I occasionally had the same problem as well).

Hopefully something can be found for this. I will be trying my share of things, and will be getting back here to inform of my results. Wish me luck! xD

Monkey

UPDATE: Well, I think I solved it :p I downloaded a Synaptics driver at http://www.synaptics.com/support/index.cfm . Hopefully that helps!

7. Sawyer[R1e]

Sawyer[R1e] Pen Pal - Newbie

but...if it is a hardware problem..how can be fixed with a new driver ?! :confused:

8. innercircle24

innercircle24 Pen Pal - Newbie

I too have a Asus R1F with similar problems. I originally bought this tablet PC about a year ago and have learned many things about it. I have been running Windows Vista (*gasp*) and surprisingly it hasn't been giving me as much grief as I thought it would ( I have 2 gigs of RAM and I disabled that fancy 3D crap that takes up a lot of memory that comes with Vista Business). Here are my thoughts, please enlighten me if you have any more...

1.) When you plan to write on the screen via One Note or Journal... make sure you orient your screen FIRST before even opening the program. I have serious issues with the pen and eraser not registering when I flip back and forth from tablet to regular modes.

2.) I dread losing battery life, because thats when the "sticky mouse in a random corner syndrome" occurs. Sometimes it even happens when the battery is full and it is still plugged in. BUT, when I am just operating off the battery, I have never ran into SMSCS (sticky mouse in the corner syndrome) Here are some ways that I solve this problem temporarily:

(a) close the monitor lid for like 4 seconds then open it back up,

(b)push the little orientation button right next to the ctrl-alt-delete button and your fingerprint swiper, and then orient it back to your prefered viewing

(c) Push semi-hard on your screen with the pen (or your eraser, not an external mouse or your touch pad... don't ask me) directly on the stuck mouse and slowly drag it away from its locked position <not recommended>.

In conclusion... I have been having this problem since I opened the package, so if anyone has any real solutions please let me know

3.) Also, this is something minor, but I have found that when the charger is plugged in, I am unable to write with the pen working consistently on my tablet... very annoying.

Anyhow.. hopefully this is some help

9. X_DressedToKill

X_DressedToKill BeccaBoo.

Uh. This bugs me so much as well... I've tried everything, rotating the screen (like from landscape to portrait), which sometimes works. But now the function seems to have broken for my laptop.

Also, hibernating/putting it on sleep, etc. But it takes a while. I now press function f7. Which works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.