ASUS R1F-K018E Mini-Review...and Problems.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jinobi, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eshupps

eshupps Pen Pal - Newbie

The fingerprint reader is a bit tricky. I got it to work by making sure I swiped all the way to the tip of my thumb; that is, when I slide my thumb over the reader, I rlift the base of my thumb up and presw the tip of my thumb down to make sure the very tip catches the edge of the reader bezel. Once I started doing it that way it works every time.

2. ant

ant Pen Pal - Newbie

i took mine to the asus shop, the guy showed me how to use the scanner, make sure you press hard enough so that every part of the print makes solid contact with the little yellow strip down the middle, you do have to press quite hard.. i got 0 out of 100 attempts untill i had this info, then it works every time with every finger.

my problem with this machine is that all images online esp small ones look like badly compressed jpegs.. i tried to fix it by putting the antistropic filtering on and a few other boosts in the graphics options, that did crisp the screen right up however all images, even the title of this forum have jpeg fuzz all over them, any ideas? also video playback is a little fuzzy. not impressed with the graphics, ill be running 3d studio max and maya next week so i am praying that they will run ok, i went for the 2 gig of ram and xp version so i have as much resorces free as poss.
    also does anyone know if it is possible to allocate 512 ram to the graphics card? or have any control over it at all?
    i dont use the stylus silo, i keep the pen in a felt bag seperatly which isnt a prob.
    once you get the scanner running it works a dream, you will never need to enter a password into explorer again!
    aside from the graphics issue this machine is like a dream come true, can wait to get image making on it!

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fuziness: Are you running the tablet in it's native 1280x800 native resolution?

4. ant

ant Pen Pal - Newbie

i am, i boggles me, it seems to be just on IE.. i got the latest version,, will try firefox, any other possibilites?

5. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

I was also trying to push on the scanner as hard as possible. To me, those two black aluminum panels raise your fingers slightly above the scanner itself, explaining why you have to push down hard.

There should be an option in BIOS to allocate more memory. IMHO, even if you do allocate more memory to the GPU, your performance won't necessarily improve. The weak abilities of the GMA 950 is crippling its ability to effectively use more memory. It's like how low-end graphics cards were normally equipped with 64MB of RAM; some of those same cards were outfitted with 256MB of RAM, which sounded like a better number to the consumer when it was advertised prominently on the box. However, the capabilities of the graphics processor itself (in this case, GMA 950) could not utilize most of the extra memory.

6. bnm

bnm Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had the same experience with the fingerprint reader. For the first two weeks I was certain that something must be wrong with mine. I couldn't believe that other users were actually happy with it... I kept reading "you'll get used to it" and it drove me crazy.

But finally, I did get used to it.

Just as the previous poster said, make sure the tip of your finger gets in on the action. Run flat from the joint and then tilt your finger up as you pull back to make sure the tip gets on the glass.

After learning this trick I had to re-enroll my fingerprints to get the best results, but now I'm loving it! I rarely have to swipe a second time.

Good luck!

Brandon

7. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

I can now comment on the R1F's durability:

I dropped it from about 4 feet in the air, while it was still in its thin padded sleeve. It landed flat on its feet, and the only problem was that part of the bezel popped off. A simple fix.

That, and my hinge seems to be a tad loose. I think that's because of wear and tear, though. Like, I can move the screen slightly up and down without any effort while it's locked into the latch in tablet mode. Tablet single-hinges: gotta love them. *rolls eyes*

8. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Is a WEBCAM an option? It was on the previous version of it:

"In addition to the R1F tablet PC model, ASUS also offers the Mobile TV, Webcam and Slim and Light notebook series to fulfill all needs of the users. The mobile TV notebook series delivers theater quality high-definition video and audio enjoyment while the webcam notebook series with built-in high-resolution 240∘rotational camera ensures total image capturing with wire-free convenience!"

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Jared2,
    All your three opening posts have been the EXACT same question to all different topics.

Please in future avoid doing this as it causes differing posts being made to each topic with lose of continuity and fragmentation to answers.

10. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

Gee, I never thought this thread would be #2 viewed.

Well, the R1F has been a breeze to use. At UCLA, we have this Xerox Workcentre Pro 75, which has a scanner feature that can e-mail your scanned images. I've been using it to scan my textbooks into my R1F, and it's significantly reduced my load.

I've given up on the fingerprint reader, after 1 hour of trying everyone's advice. Cursor sticking seems to have gone away after...doing something. Synaptics touchpad drivers are still active, and the sticking problem has gone away. And while dropping my R1F wasn't the smartest thing to do, the only symptom that's developed is clicking from the hard drive. R1F is still chugging along.

The static issue is still present with the latest Realtek drivers. It's noticeable on Logitech Z-2300 speakers, Sennheiser HD555s, and some IEDs I have.

The main battery and modular battery are still giving 6 hours of battery life, on battery mode with wi-fi on. I can't say whether any battery wear has occurred, as NHC creates blue screens within Vista.