ASUS R1F-K018E Mini-Review...and Problems.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jinobi, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just got my K018E, and it's all great. ASUS has all the updated drivers for Vista, the Protector Suite QL is installed. The pen silo scratching issue is still there. BIOS is version 3.08. I'm getting 5 hours, 45 minutes on the main 6-cell battery and the modular bay 6-cell battery, with Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth off, on max brightness.

Everything else is basically the same as the K018T. Two problems, though.

1. In some instances, the mouse cursor will just "stick" to one of the corners of the screen. I can only move it a short distance before it will snap back to its corner. Pen input does not work, and I can only correct this by resetting the computer.

2. How the heck do you people get the fingerprint reader to work. I've done it slowly, flat as possible, but it still won't register. I've have not had this problem with UPEK readers on Sony or Dell notebooks. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for all the help!

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. The computer is receiving input from a pointing device to push the cursor into the corner. Uninstall any mouse drivers and reinstall. If there's no fix, call Asus...it may be a hardware problem ( you could verify first by plugging in a USB mouse )

3. macuis

macuis Pen Pal - Newbie

2. I find that if you don't press too hard, just gliding it over top without interruption works best. I also noticed that if your fingers are either too dry or too sweaty, then it screws everything up too.

4. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the fingerprint reader is still a no-go. But, I've found a temporary solution for the cursor sticking in the corners:

If you press the screen rotation button, the cursor will "unstick." I've tried unstalling the Synaptec drivers, and reinstalling them, but problem still persists.

5. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Plug in a USB mouse and disable the touchpad.

6. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

The cursor sticking might be a deeper software problem. With a USB mouse plugged in, and the Synaptics touchpad disabled, the cursor will still stick.

Was this ever a problem for previous R1F users?

7. demalion

demalion Pen Pal - Newbie

I just came here to investigate this "corner" problem too. I had it first manifest as screen calibration seeming to freeze when the cursor (invisible) got stuck in one corner, and clicking on the next corner calibration spot didn't do anything. I later figured out the cause when it happened outside of the calibration program and I could see the dot stuck in the corner, jittering around as I tried to move it elsewhere.

It didn't go away even after I managed a successful calibration. It happens most often to me in Primary Portrait in the top corners, but I just verifed it in Primary Landscape in every corner except top left as I type this.

I'm still wondering what's going on, and only have random theories like some sort of sensor overload issues in the corners, or some sort of driver oversight in dealing with sensor behavior or tracking position.

I can say that the quickest soution I've found is to flip the stylus over and let the eraser tip register on the screen, which seems to let the driver know that it is impossible for the pointer tip to actually still be in the corner.

I'm hoping for an updated Wacom enhanced driver that recognizes the R1F screen rotations or some sort of driver update from Asus.

Anyone have any sort of definitve insight into this problem?

8. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

Nothing proven yet, but ever since I've installed the Wacom 5.01-8a enhanced driver, the corner problem seems to have gone away for me. I'll report back in a couple of days, after I've really used my tablet, to see whether this is the case.

Stupid fingerprint scanner. I'm half-thinking of removing the metal panels, just so the sensor will be "always on" instead of being pressure-activated.

9. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Jinobi, you said you installed 5.01-8a and had no problem, Have you checked if your stylus works in all screen orientation?
    Also are you running Vista or XP ?
    I ask because I tested the 5.01-9 lately with XP, and the driver completely screws up the stylus in any orientation other than primary landscape.

10. jinobi

jinobi Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm running Vista (since it's the K018E version), and in 5.01-8a, the stylus does work in all screen orientations. However, I've uninstalled it since, as the anti-aliasing in the TIP and in OneNote 2007 is gone with the Wacom driver. My ink with the Wacom driver is jagged, whereas with the stock tablet drivers, everything is smooth.

The Wacom drivers work wonders in Photoshop CS2, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.