Asus R1F - Instructions for choosing non-default partition

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Barry J. Doyle, Nov 8, 2006.

1. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm just working through setting up a new Asus R1F and I thought I would follow some of the advice in XP Installation Guide which I found in one of the Notebook forums.

However, the ASUS Recovery Disk does not give the user much in the way of partitioning options, and repartitioning the disk using Windows XP is not possible. So if you want to reinstall Windows, and want something other than the default 60/40 C/D partition, or the alternative 100% C drive partition, then you'll have to do it yourself.

If you want to do this for sure, you can do it right out of the box I imagine.
    I didn't have any disk partition software, and I wanted to find some freeware. I'll save you the blow by blow of all my mistakes.

First, create a bootable CD. I downloaded ISO Recorder which installs as a shell extension - this means that you right-click the *.iso file to burn it to your CD rather than copying the *.iso file to your CD. (I tried that first, it doesn't work.)

Second, download System Rescue CD. This is an *.iso file. Right click and burn it to your blank CD. Put the CD in your R1F.

Third, reboot (or power up) your R1F and hit esc during the initial screen. You 'll get a boot prompt. The manual gives some instructions on what to enter here. I entered "fb1024 nokeymap nonet" and that worked for me, so you can take my word for it or read the manual yourself.

Now you're in, and you'll want to run the disk partitioning software. Type run_qtparted and you'll start a program that is not up to Windows standards in ease of use, but does the job. It took me a little trial and error, but I got it figured out.

I left the RECOVERY partition alone. I erased all the other partitions. Then I created a Primary Partition of 20 GB for system & software, naming it SYSTEM. Choose FAT32 because if you choose something else, then when you reinstall Windows XP it will reformat it to FAT32 anyway.

Then I created an extended partition (you don't name this). Then (within the extended partition) I created a 3 GB NTFS partition called SWAP. Then I used the rest of the drive to create a NTFS partition called DATA. See the the advice in XP Installation Guide and make up your own mind how you want to segment things.

[If I did it over again, I'd reverse the order, that way the Data drive would be D and the Swap drive would be E. Oops. But you can fix this if you follow the instructions for setting up a swap file drive in the Guide.]

Then you have to "commit" each of the partitions you've created. Hopefully it will be obvious to you when you're done.

I then rebooted the R1F with the Asus Recovery disk, selected Recover to First Partition, and waited and waited while it did its thing. The Guide suggests not installing the Asus drivers disk, but I didn't really understand why since then you have to install them anyway, so I went ahead and used the Driver & Utility disk as promoted during the recovery process.

Reinstalling Windows involves a long time, lots of waiting, etc. When you're done, on the desktop is a utility to convert FAT32 to NFTS. If you choose to make this change, go ahead and click it. It will try to do the non-primary drives first, then it will try to do the primary drives. It gives you the choice to proceed (y/n) for each drive. So if you want one drive NFTS, but other drives to remain FAT32, then you can do this with the utility.

I don't understand why this can't be done in the native Windows interface, but I guess Asus redid this for a reason. I've never seen such a utility before on other model computers.

Anyhow, I'm done. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for sharing all of that info... I am sure this will be helpful to some many!