Asus R1F falling apart

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ToParIs, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Goodbye Asus R1F forum, it's been nice knowing ye.

My Asus R1F has finally bit the dust and I've decided it isn't worth spending several hundred dollars to get it repaired. The proximate cause was the power switch breaking (unknown cause), followed by apparently dislodging a monitor wire during an attempted cheap repair.

But generally this thing is falling apart.
    - Screen wobble makes me seasick now
    - the cheap plastic cover over the screen hinge is long gone, again
    - the hard drive cover has to be taped on
    - problem with memory stick reader (not sure if other flash cards work or not)

Unfortunately, I now depart the tablet world after an Acer and an Asus. In my current job, I find I use the tablet features less than I used to. So although I looked hard at the latest Lenovo and Fujitsu tablets (I swore off Asus after the initial horrible customer service, see my earlier posts), I couldn't justify the $700+ price premium over a comparable laptop. The Fujitsu 1010 tempted me, and if I hadn't needed something in a hurry (!) maybe I would have stuck with it. But alas . . .

Y'all be good, and if anyone is buying R1F models for parts or rehab, let me know by PM. I'll probably ebay it eventually as most of the components probably carry enough value to make it worthwhile.

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's always interesting to see how other R1F's are getting along. After 30 months with my system, the damages and wear on my system are:

1) Shiny keyboard keys from using it everyday.
    2) Scratched lid ( what you get from buying a cheap laptop bag and tying it down on a motorcycle every day in the summer )
    3) The ink on the stickers wore off so I pulled them all off.

That's it.

The system has run XP, Vista and now Win7 b7068 (allegedly) and is as fast as the day I bought it. I long ago bought a Turtlebeach USB sound card dongle to get around the headphone jack flaw. I have a second battery to support my second main battery. Battery life sucks, but I never seem to be more than 2-3 hours from a wall socket.

I was thinking about replacing this system, but to be honest there does not seem to be a next gen tablet out there that substantially improves on the R1F. I'll just keep chugging along with this tablet until it dies or Apple gets their crap together and ships an Air tablet.

3. ericisshort

ericisshort Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my tablet for 27 months and most of my problems have been superficial. The paint is worn off from the middle of the touch pad as well as the areas to either side of it where my palms rest while typing. I've fixed the latter with some palm pads that I picked up from marware. Other than that, there are a few scratches and the charger cable is starting to become dislodged from the ac adapter, but I must say, this computer is holding up quite well to all of the abuse I've dealt it.

4. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, same here. 30 months and all is still functional. The lid looks like it's been in a war, and pretty much everything looks worn, but it still works just fine. With the 2nd battery (also 30 months old) I still can get 4 to 4.5 hours out of the damn thing. I'm constantly looking to buy a new tablet, but none seem compelling enough right now. It's sad.

5. robgibb

robgibb Pen Pal - Newbie

My R1F rocks,
    18 months old
    second battery from the start,
    10% wear on both.
    wear on the ext
    fingerprint never worked
    runs a little hot nowdays fans on alot
    touchpad paint worn off

6. kudoskun

kudoskun Scribbler - Standard Member

I can almost boil water with my fan. It can heat a piece of metal hot enough to burn the skin if you touch the metal piece.

The battery life sucks with both the main + bay battery. 2hrs max

It also has some random power failure issue now too. Took apart to try and find a blown cap / something.... But I couldnt locate anything with the eye. Guess I need a multimeter or something...

Using it as a tablet is awful. Its simply too heavy. Regardless of how muscly your arms may be, its too heavy to use over any period of time, unless you teeter it on the edge of a desk.

Touchpad can be finicky at times if your finger is too dry...

I just want to get rid of it and get me a nice x200s or x200t. Probably the former.

Anyone want to purchase a working R1F for parts? Not even ebay has them!

7. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

LOL... I was able to boil water with my fan too! 95 degrees Celcius!
    I can live with superficial problems (like shiny keys, scratched lids), since they are expected after 2 1/2 years of use. But functional problems like heat is just unbearable. And once the fan goes on to cool the system down, the R1F runs really really slow.

I've moved on. I bought my new T5010, and I'm loving it!

8. Teancum

Teancum Pen Pal - Newbie

If your fan is that how you probably just need to clean out the fan. I find I need to do this at least every 8-12 months. My CPU will start to climb up to 65-70C and the dust and gunk in the fan will be so thick that it is almost solid and all of the mess comes out in one piece together.

After I do this the CPU will generally be 15-20C lower than it was before.

Proper care and maintenance makes for a happy tablet as it gets older.

9. wei2k

wei2k Pen Pal - Newbie

My R1F is chugging now. It's been 3 years since I got it but I didn't really start using it a lot until the past 4 months. Before that I had it on maybe a total of 20 times because the battery issues started happening after the first 6 months.

If it's unplugged for more than a minute it turns off, and from what I've read the battery issue is a design flaw so even if the battery is charged the table thinks it's not. I paid a lot for this tablet and don't think I got my money's worth. Next time I'll just get a decent Toshiba or Lenova.

10. Cristall

Cristall Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, im from UE(europe) if you sel i would like to buy the tablet for replace the screen if you sell(maybe only the screen?)...my display is crash and i use to draw on it, Thank you!, Cris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.