Asus R1F battery life

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jdwilson, Jan 4, 2007.

?

How long do you think your battery life is now, after at least one month of use?

1. Battery life less than 1 hr 50 minutes

31 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. Battery life less than 2 hrs 20 minutes

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Battery life less than 2 hrs 50 minutes

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Battery life at least 2 hrs 50 minutes

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. My Asus is less than one month old

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. phproomer

phproomer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I bought my R1F a couple of weeks ago, and the battery life went from 3.5 hours to a little bit more that 2 hours :-<
    Can you confirm that with a battery problem were solved after battery replace as jdwilson says.. by the way although it have this problem I think its a greatl laptop :->.
    thanks a lot,

2. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey - no guarantees in my post - just that it seems to be more worth the effort.

I don't think I've read of anyone going from 3.5 hours to 2 hours in 2 weeks. That's pretty severe.

I'd suggest installing NHC (Notebook Hardware Control) and use it to find out what your wear level is on the battery before you send it in. NHC is pretty easy although technical. If your wear level is anywhere below 95% you should send for a swap. IF they've fixed it, maybe you got some old stock and the RMA will give you the upgrade.

3. KingBorn88

KingBorn88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, the battery wear problem is "Unknowed" in italy, i've talked with some people that has the R1f from about an year and they can use their tablet pc for 3,5hours-4hours :eek: .

Could the problem be in the better "charge" that we have in italy with the 220-240 AC?

This is only my supposition, but if anyone want to try with a 110-220v transformer.....;)

4. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

That is "unpossible". The adapter regulates itself to the input voltage, so that it generates a constant, predetermined output voltage. Thus, the laptop and the battery doesn't know whether it is connected to a EU or US outlet.

5. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

Also there are plenty of people from the EU that do have the battery wear problem. It could be that the R1Fs that are sold in Italy are from a different production line or where build after the time that the problems had reportetly been fixed.

6. kudoskun

kudoskun Scribbler - Standard Member

With the risk of jinxing it,

I got my RMA battery PLUS my 2nd bay battery a few weeks ago. And as you may or may not have known, when using 2, the bay battery drains to 0% when the main battery kicks in.

and you know what?

0% wear on both, for over 2+ weeks, drained down to 10%-30% on average (total charge, not individual), with a complete bottom out a few times.

: )

I think the problem has been nik'd

(knock on e-wood)

edit: before people start asking about battery life....
    Sitting, idling, fluctuates 5-6hrs
    in use (wifi/screen@ 80-100%, battery saving) ~ 4 hrs, maybe more if I disable stuff.

*This is my experience, and cannot guarantee the same for you.

7. Tanus

Tanus Pen Pal - Newbie

Think theres something wrong with my RMA battery. I've had the battery for 3/4 year now, but the wearlevel (NHC) is down to 56%. Is this normal?

8. Sawyer[R1e]

Sawyer[R1e] Pen Pal - Newbie

in my R1E the battery life was very long...3-4hours

9. robgibb

robgibb Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had mine for 10 months with a modular battery and had 56% wear on the primary battery, I phoned ASUS Canada today and they are sending me a new one no questions asked and are sending a shipping box for me to use.

I asked about the crossshipping method but no luck although he did say I may be able to run the RF1 on the modular battery (which has been in since the first day and only has 4% wear) Has anyone tried this?

Anyway I will report back about my experience.

10. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

Cross shipped my main battery back to Asus a couple weeks ago, but they were out of main batteries so I had to wait awhile. Finally got it a week ago and it was packed like you wouldn't believe, so kudos to Asus on that. This is my second replacement battery and hopefully my last.

I havent really used it enough to see if the wear is fixed or not, but to answer robgibb's question: yes you can run it off just the modular battery. It's pretty much what I had to do while I waited, though I did end up carrying the charger everywhere since it definitely wasnt enough juice. Running off just the modular didn't seem to wear the modular down at all, it's showing only 7% after about a year and a half of almost daily discharge. I wonder why Asus doesn't just repackage the modular battery as the main.