ASUS R1F Availability in UK

Discussion in 'Asus' started by yogi, Oct 26, 2006.

1. mikeybhoy

mikeybhoy Pen Pal - Newbie

Just tried to purchase an R1F this morning from one of the online retailers selling Asus notebooks here in .co.uk but had to give up in frustration.

The tablet is £1220.18, but there is a surcharge added if using a direct debit or credit card with this company, which, with the delivery, takes the total cost upto well over £1270. The only way to avoid the surcharge is to take time off, go to a Lloyds TSB bank and pay it into the company's account with cash, then phone them up to tell them you've transferred the funds, wait for them to check that the money has been paid in and then hope they ship it same day.

Come on people, this is 2006!!!! :mad: The sooner ebuyer or dabs starts carrying this tablet the better methinks. Nexus13 have stock from Tue they hope, so I'll try again with them. Under £1200 and free shipping :) Surcharge indeed!

But then again, maybe its all just a sign to wait longer for the Fujitsi 4215. :rolleyes:

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mikey, let me guess....
    Was this through Nexus13.com or ASUS Notebooks.co.uk by any chance?

3. mikeybhoy

not sure of the forum rules on this sort of thing, but the latter would be a good guess. ;)

4. P8RSON

It's okay Mike, you can mention sites... just so long as it's not related to spam.

As to the R1F and UK, have you tried going over to shoplaptop.co.uk
    You can get the link here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. mikeybhoy

Yes, they were one of the 4 websites I could find selling the R1F, although only asuslaptops.co.uk had any stock. Looking at the FAQs for shoplatops.co.uk it seems they do not charge a surcharge for debit cards so that would be ideal. 2-5 days before they get stock but thats just life.

Someone at work told me that it is not legal to surcharge on debit cards - not sure if thats true or not - but its lost asuslaptops.co.uk a sale today.

6. youngmicroserf

youngmicroserf Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, if you're interested in the German configuration T7200/120GB hard disk, notebook.de offers the R1F with a UK keyboard option (and probably English XP as well, you'd probably have to call them to find out) for 69€. They don't show it on their website, but it's on the printout I took from the store a couple of days ago, along with a couple of other keyboard options, incl. US.

7. mikeybhoy

That comes out to around £1350 pounds sterling by my reckoning, so about £150 more than the lower spec UK version. So I get an extra 20Gb on the hard disk and a 4Mb cache on the 2.0Ghz processor for my money.

Might drop them an e-mail.

8. P8RSON

Be careful on any import duty tax though Mike.

9. mikeybhoy

I'd hope to be exempt from that as I'd have already paid the VAT in another member state (Germany). Could be wrong though ......

10. P8RSON

Yes but just check though....
    The European Community Common Customs Tariff (CCT)

The EU is a customs union. Member States charge a common tariff on goods from outside the EU. Thereafter, those goods can circulate freely within the rest of the EU without any liability to pay further customs duties when they move from one Member State to another. However, the goods might be subject to other local charges in a Member State such as excise duty and VAT.

Have a read of the dti page here and ask the seller in the message to confirm there will be no other payments required.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015