ASUS R1F 3 cell or 6 cell battery?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by The Niles, Jan 15, 2007.

1. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

In every shop that carries the R1F in the Netherlands it is claimed that it comes with just a 3 cell battery. This is unacceptable to me so I rang ASUS Holland B.V. to find out where I can get the 6 cell version. They told me the R1F does not come in a 3 cell version and can only handle six celled batteries. I then emailed a shop if they could help me clear up the confusion and assure me they have a 6 cell version for sale. Their email back stated that they have the 3 cell information from ASUS directly and that as far as they are aware it is correct and they are selling 3 cell versions.

Obviously this is confusing the life out of me and I do not know what to do. I will not get stuck with a 3 cell battery as it just isn't enough. Does anyone know why this mixed information exists? Is there something like a 3 cell R1F? Has anyone here bought one in the Netherlands?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

well a similar situation happened with me about the asus warranty with the R1F here in canada. some resellers were saying that it comes with 1 year and thats all they can quarantee, its it's more its just better. and the reason this happened was because asus NA site said at that time that it comes with a 1 year warranty whereas the global site said 2 years. i also called asus NA and they said that any model in NA of R1F comes with a 2 year. i bought it and later on they said changed the website too. i believe ur resellers are getting the wrong info from the website too. i will believe what asus says. asus website have some wrong info, even now they say that the tablet comes with optional bag and mouse, but it comes in all of them.

SUMMARY: resellers getting wrong info. asus is right in what they say. if you want better protection email asus, then when you get an email reply saying its 6cell, you at least have a written statement from asus that you can show in the case that something goes wrong.

3. woutervegter

woutervegter Pen Pal - Newbie

don't buy a dutch R1F, the R1F in Germany has a faster processor at the same price, buy the german R1F instead and buy dutch keyboard for about 40 euros.

4. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

i think the R1f, depending on where it is released, comes with either a 3 cell or 6 cell battery. so far I havent heard of any place that is shipping it with a 3 cell battery, but it may just be that the Netherlands is one of those places. If you have any doubt, I'd take woutervegter's advice and buy it from somewhere that you know will include the 6 cell instead of the 3 cell.

5. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The NA battery is 6 cell. I've never even heard of a 3 cell laptop battery.

There's a sticker right on the R1F that says there is a 24 month global warranty. It seems odd that resellers would be confused about this.

6. The Niles

Thanks for everyone's input. If I were to get it from Germany I would be paying over €200 more for only a slightly better machine so that is not a real option. If I cannot find a Dutch seller that sells the 6 cell version then I would have to buy a 6 cell extra battery from Germany were I have found a shop that sells them for about €130. Not money I'm looking on spending but I think that is the best option. It would still be cheaper then getting either T4215.

By the way, the ASUS global site also mentions the 3 cell battery as an option on the R1F. It is useless the point of stupidity to put a 3 cell battery in a notebook. It only gives two hours of autonomy and that is not nearly enough for a Tablet or even any kind of other notebook.

I still have a few weeks to make up my mind and try and get to the bottom of this.

7. zun

zun Pen Pal - Newbie

Instead of asking about how many cells, you ought to just ask what the rating of the battery is: i.e. the North American 6-cell main battery is rated at 5200 mAh. It should be right there on the label.

8. The Niles

Not many carry in store stock any more. I could ask but I doubt I would be any the wiser. The people I have corresponded with have all given me information that has come from paper or screens.

9. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

as i mentioned above, there is no need to worry about it, if asus says its 6 cell then it is 6 cell. the resellers are wrong. in NA the site also says 3/6 cell battery, however every north american model comes with 6 cell only. there is no 3 cell here. this is another mistake on asus website. pretty sure same kind of situation there.

10. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I can't imagine anyone providing a 3-cell primary battery with a new notebook. It would give you what...maybe an hour or less of life. People would be returning Acer notebooks promptly if that were true!