Asus R1E User Review - w1nter

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pyhsu5168, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

After almost 3 weeks in suspense, I finally got my hands on my Asus R1E which I ordered from Portable One.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to upload the images I have taken, so if you are interested please either leave me your email or give me the instructions on how to upload

As promised the review is as follows. I'll try to keep this short, as the R1E is really only a refreshment of the R1F

Asus R1E specifications:

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHZ
    OS Window Vista Business
    RAM 2GB DDR2 667 MHz (2 x 1GB)
    Display 13.3" WXGA+ (1280x800) TFT
    Chipset Intel 965 Express Chipset
    Graphics GMA X3100 GFX
    Audio Integrated speakers
    Hard Drive 160GB (5400 rpm)
    Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
    I/O ports
    1 x Express card
    1 x Microphone-in jack
    1 x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF)
    1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin
    2 x USB 2.0 ports
    1 x sata
    1 x RJ11 Modem jack for phone line
    1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    1 x Fingerprint

Communications Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Bluetooth

Dimensions 31.7 x 23.2 x 3.5 cm (W x D x H)
    Weight 1.98 Kgs

Battery/power 6-cell Lithium Ion

For further specs please refer to te Asus website

Reasons for buying
    It is the only available Santa Rosa tablet with both a powerful CPU and a expresscard slot (for the purpose of a graphic upgrade once the Asus XG station is released)
    Further, the fact that the R1E has WXGA is a bonus. The screen is about the same as an A4 page, which is more natural for input during tablet mode. I simply dont like the idea of writing on a mouse pad, which is the impression that I get when using the 12.1 XGA tablets.

First impression
    The Asus came through beautifully packaged, what more can I say, its absolutely gorgeous. Look for yourself.

Design and built
    The R1E has exactly the same design as the R1F, hences its a refreshment of the same concept. The screen does not wobble unless you intensionally move it with your hands.

One thing that I found which bugged me is the fact that the screen only rotates towards the right, this was something i had to get used to.

Display
    During tbalet mode, the R1E is pen input only and which utilises the wacom technology. Like the R1F, the R1E screen is covered with a screen protector which makes the screen really grainy.
    For those of you who are spoiled by LED screen technology, the R1E may be a deal breaker.

Screen at maximum brightness

Screen at minimum brightness

As you may notice, the screen isn't really bright on the R1E, but nevertheless usable. The screen doesn't really bother me because I either dont have the time to worry about it during note taking in class, or that I'm at home viewing my documents on an external monitor.
    A problem with my screen that i did notice is that i have 2 balck pixels, though it seems to come and go??

Speakers
    The speakers on the R1E is nothing to praise about, it has no bass and it sounds like something that is coming out the earphones when subjected to maximum volume.
    However, it does seems to be a good design, in a sense that the speakers are not completely covered during tablet mode.

Processor and performance
    Having used both an AMD dual 2.4GHZ and an Intel u900MHZ, I did want to point out that if your looking for something that doesn't lag during standard operations, ultra low voltage processors isn't something you should consider.

I know that for some, the new Intel u7600 may seem really promising with the kind of performance which could match standard processors during standard operations such as openning pdf, word, web surfing. However, youmay want to keep in mind that with ongoing antivirus updates, the u7600 processors begins to crawl.

Further, what reviews don't tell you about the battery saving processors is that there cpu usuage during standard operations are somewhat miserable. Durring standard operations, the R1E averaged an 10 - 15% usuage, while the Intel u7600 on a Sony TZ ran on a average of 40 - 50%.

When the R1E was openned for the first time, it took a miserable 90 minutes for Vista to sort itself out. Afterwards, the startup time from boot to openning the first program took just over a minute.

Unfortunately I dont have the programs to do the benchmarking, but if you consider the specification of the Asus R1E to its competitors, namely the Fujistu T4220 with a 2.2HGHZ Cpu, then you could infer the following:

*SuperPi of the R1E would be faster then 54s
    *PCMark05 Score of the R1E would be greater then 4171
    *3D Mark 05 score would be greater then 925

The above score were taken from the following:
    http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=890

In addition, Chinesefireball would be doing a comparison between the Asus R1E and the Fujitsu T4220 :)

Heat and noise
    Because the Asus R1E utilizes the T7700, I did notice warm air coming out of the air vent at all times, its nothing too irritating, but nevetheless its WARM!
    Further beacuse the air vent is located on the left hand side of the tablet, the palm rest on the key pad gets quite warm.
    I may try to get my hands on some arctic silver to seem is this makes difference.
    The fans are silent most the time (except for installation), I can barely here anything.

Keyboard/Pen
    The keyboard is nothing special, at least in my opinion. Its responsive and grey looking with full size keys.
    The pen is so sensitive its crazy, I can literally move around the mouse cursor, without making any contact with the pen.

Ports
    View for yourself :)

Wireless
    My router does not support draft 'N' so I can't comment

Battery
    The laptop last about 2:45 minutes on entertainment mode with wifi off and no battery saving options on, it will last 1:45 minutes with wifi on with no battery saving options on.
    Asus comes with two 6 cell batteries, the above test was conducted with only one in place. Further, keep in mind that the R1E runs on the T7700, so short battery life is sort of expected. Although I do feel that with 2 batteries installed and all battery saving features on, the R1E should go past the 6 hour margin.

Problems
    As many of you aware that the old Asus R1F had serious battery problems, so far I can't say that this is also the case for te R1E (its too ealry to tell). But what I did find was that during battery recharge between 96 - 97%, it took a good 20 minutes.
    Further, the battery jumped from 98 - 100%.

Conclusion
    It's too early to say that the R1E faces the same problems as the R1F, it especailly when users are starting to report that the battery problems have been solved as of periods after October. Besides the average brightness of the screen and the warm air, the Asus R1E is in my opinion a good tablet for those who are in the market for a tablet based on power and size. The fact that the 13.3" screen is the closest you can get to an A4 page, in my case I found it really easy to adapt to writing with the pen in tablet mode.

I tried to be objective rather then persuaive, so for those who are interested you can judge the tablet for yourself.

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good comments.

- Is there static in the headphone jack?
    - Is the SATA connection full speed? (Some eSATA connections only support the 1.5gbs )

3. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

No i didn't get any static on mine
    I have not sata device so i can't comment

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The hard drive that's currently in your R1E is an SATA device. :)
    However, if it's eSATA, that's a different story. You could probably post results of an HDTune test if that satisfies alphaswift.

5. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

yes sorry i mean i dont have any esata devices

6. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

-moved my reply to another thread, so as not to cr*p in w1nter's thread :) -

7. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

w1nter - you mentioned that the screen was grainy - is it the same amount of graininess in the r1f screen (not that I didn't notice that being grainy when I saw it)?

Other then that nice review

8. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah the screen is completely identical to the R1F, the only difference is the screen protector. On the R1F the Screen protector could be taken off easily using just your finger nails, but on the R1E is really looks like a thick layer of plastic.

Also it has come to my attention that the GMA X3100 on the Asus R1E is DX10, which stated in the properties. But still can't really run games, I guess I just have to wait for the Asus XG Station.

Did anyone notice that the heat gets quite excessive?

Hm.. Vista takes some much ram, on 2GB, i have 20MB available once window starts

9. Steph316

Steph316 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi w1nter

In regards to the screen graininess, would you still be comfortable watching movies on the screen, or does the graininess ruin the experience too much?

10. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

In my honest opinion the grainy screen is ok to watch movies with since the Asus Splendid technology automatically adjusts the screen for each individual tasks.

But well, if your not doing any typing or writing on the tablet and want to really enjoy the best of your movie, a normal monitor is better.

In my case, I only use the tablet for writing, everything else is done on my 17" CRT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.