asus r1e problems

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Lokxy, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lokxy

Lokxy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I've recently got used R1e but there are some problems with it. First of all, there was a faulty HDD so I bought a new one, I'm not sure if this might be related to the other problems so to the second, there is always ME error on the startup, it was there before i changed the HDD and it is probably related to Intel Management Technologies, but I haven't found any real solution on how to fix it. The last and the most serious issue is of unexpected windows shutdowns during the startup, they happen from time to time and I can't figure out what is causing them. I have installed Win Vista from the recovery cd that came with the r1e, then removed some unnecesary things. If you need further details, I'll be glad to post them.

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's a ME error?

If you used a recovery CD, that's be about 3 years old now. I'd suggest hitting the Asus and Intel website and updating your drivers.

3. Lokxy

Lokxy Pen Pal - Newbie

ME error should be something connected with Intel Active Management Technologies, instead of an option of hitting CTRL + P to get somewhere I only get ME error during the boot. I have installed clean Vista from the recovery cd but still, Vista shuts down unexpectedly, and ive forgotten to mention that before every unexpected shutdown, the fan inside starts to spin really fast. So, anyone had similar problems? Is there any solution to these unexpected shutdowns? And what is the Intel Active Management Techology? :) Might installing of Windows 7 prevent these shutdowns?

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like a heat problem. Maybe the air cooling has been blocked by dust or something. These systems have been around a few years and may need some TLC.

If you Google the Active Management term, an explanation is easily found.

5. Lokxy

Lokxy Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I solved the problem with the Intel Active Management technology, all it took was a bios reset. I have not encountered any unexpected shutdowns since then, but I'm still testing it.

6. Lokxy

Lokxy Pen Pal - Newbie

So the unexpected shutdowns have returned :) even when i installed windows 7, but, it seems they only happen when the R1e is running on battery. So, could this be a battery problem? How can i know for sure? Are there some utilities to confirm this?

7. Dookie

Dookie Pen Pal - Newbie

The unexpected shutdowns are due to one of the BIOS updates you did. I forget which bios update it is but you can google it. You will have to reinstall the BIOS updates up until the faulty BIOS update. That is what I did and it worked.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.