Asus R1 in UK September!?!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kebedom, Jul 27, 2006.

1. kebedom

kebedom Pen Pal - Newbie

Completely new to all this, but I have been looking at tablet PC's for the last month as I need one for university. I was interested in the M7, but feel it may be a bit heavy for everyday use, especially with the extra weight of law books, so when I heard that a dual core 13.1 inch was rumoured to be coming out by Asus, I was very interested. I gave them a call today (UK Office) who told me that it should be released early September with the following specs. I am not technically minded, so not quite sure what I else I need to ask to make sure I am getting a tablet on the same level as the M7.
    13.? Screen
    Centrino Duo Processor
    1.6ghz
    80g Hard Disk
    1g Memory
    Slot in Super Multi Layer Drive
    Wifi
    Weight 1.82kg
    Fingerprint
    Battery around 3 Hours
    Price £1100-£1200
    Let me know what you all think, the guy at Asus was nice and helpful and he didn't mind if I came back to ask more questions.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ask them if it supports 'Wacom technology'.
    Screens of this type normally don't.

3. kebedom

kebedom Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank u, that is a very good point. Will call them and update later.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Find out what Graphics Card comes in the machine. If it is integrated or discrete (has its own on board memory)

5. horsefly81

horsefly81 Pen Pal - Newbie

New Asus R1F info????Well...here is some very untrustworthy information, mostly because my spanish is untrustworthy, but also because asus could change these features as I believe their tablets are in production right now....according to the asus website spanish r1f tablet product manual (and my not so great translating ability), here are some possible features of the upcoming R1f tablet:

a lock that securely locks the screen in tablet mode or notebook closed mode
    I believe it has only one integrated microphone for audio recording
    an LCD TFT screen
    status indicator lights located on the display part of the tablet(LED) for unit activity, wireless indicator, bluetooth indicator, battery indicator, mode(suspension or not)
    a speaker at each corner of the keyboard surface close to the display
    rapid access touch button on the keyboard surface near the display, with a wireless on/off switch next to it.
    touchpad with left and right mouse buttons
    fingerprint sensor on the display surface
    frequent use buttons on the display surface, including esc, ctrl +alt +del, view rotation, and an "accidental button press lock"
    side-exhaust fan that I don't believe is user configurable(configurable by "del umbral de temperaturea" the threshold temperature)
    pen recess in the base of the tablet (towards the front I believe) with ejection button on the underside of the base
    on/off sliding switch on the side of the base
    express card slot
    flash memory slot
    Kesington lock
    TV out
    3 USB (2.0/1.1) ports
    LAN and modem ports
    firewire port
    VGA out
    Microphone in port
    combo headphone and SPDIF(sony/philips digital interface)port
    modular bay / optical drive
    some sort of auto power-on self test(POST) for configuring the BIOS?
    SMART(self monitoring and reporting technology) hard drive protection too protect against falls and interruptions
    the normal "smart battery" ability through Windows that describes remaining battery life.
    suspension and hibernation modes
    Normal, Gamma Correction, Vivid, Theatre, Smoothe, and My preference screen settings via Splendid Video Intelligence Technology
    Power4 Gear button with Battery Mode(high performance, gaming, DVD, quiet office, presentation, audio cd, and battery saving modes) and AC mode(super performance, high performance, gaming, presentation, and quiet office modes)
    TPM (trusted platform module)
    Infrared Connection
    The stylus allows the erasable feature using the back of the stylus (does that indicate Wacom?)
    It appears to be a one-way directional screen rotation hinge

And again: here's the ultimate disclaimer: my spanish, the Spanish manual, and several "ON SELECT MODELS" headings to some of the above described features.

6. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Um...The FCC has had the manual on file for like 3 months now. No mention about integrated or descrete graphics.

7. horsefly81

horsefly81 Pen Pal - Newbie

so does that mean that everything in the FCC manual will be included in the
    R1F when it comes out?? I hope so...

8. kebedom

kebedom Pen Pal - Newbie

9. DragonFlame

DragonFlame Pen Pal - Newbie

click the specifications on the left bar you get some tech specs, dimensions and what not. Can't find wacom or finepoint anywhere on there though, so I'm still wondering...

10. kebedom

kebedom Pen Pal - Newbie

Just spoken to Asus in UK, v.friendly staff, they contacted head office in Taiwan to find out info for me, and called me back with the details.

R1F
    It support Wacom technology and has integrated graphics.
    It will be in shops mid/end September. Does anyone think its worth hanging on for?