ASUS R1 getting dedicated graphics?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MilestonePC.com, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

A little early to start the celebrations but this post by proportable has me thinking it might happen.

Even if it happens, should we celebrate? Sure it will add another dimension to the R1, being able to play games. And Vista Aeroglass will run better. But it will suck the battery dry faster and reduce the already less then stellar battery life further. I'm not sure about this one to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't see this happening.

The R1F already runs Aero, so it's not like there's some urgent need to add a dedicated card. If there ever is a next gen tablet, it'll be based on Santa Rosa which is supposed to get a better integrated graphics chip. I just can't see Asus doing anything more for a tablet.

3. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

...ummmm the post that you cited isn't about the R1... so are you just extrapolating that the comment about lots of low end dedicated graphics cards means that they might give the R1 one... other than that... I don't see how this relates to the R1.

4. The Niles

It is the R1F.

5. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

i think that's a bit of hopeful thinking. The R1f runs vista fine, heck it's the laptop microsoft actually used to display it along with that special edition one with the windows logo on it. Besides, any dedicated graphics card will add heat and thickness. If anything they might refresh it when the new intel chipsets come out so the integrated graphics will get a small upgrade.

6. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

i think i personally agree with Loaf. i'd rather have asus make it thin and light with integrated graphics than a thicker and hotter with dedicated graphics.

7. The Niles

I personally wouldn't need dedicated graphics persé especially since it cuts into battery life but I would like to see integrated graphics from either NVIDIA or ATI as opposed to Intel. Even the upcoming Intel integrated GPU will not resolve Intel's most pressing problem, lack of hardware transform and lighting.

8. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't believe the R1 series will get a dedicated graphics card, mainly because of the above statements. Plus it would drain battery life.

So if you want, you can wait for the XG station, or wait even longer to see what this new X16 PCIE cable can do and with other external graphics.