asus power adapter

Discussion in 'Asus' started by docta b, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docta b

docta b Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a hugeeee problem! My r1f adapter just seemed to start smoking and I heard a couple of popping noises and it doesnt light up anymore. Can you guys give me any ideas on where to get a power adapter asap? i will send this one in to warranty and all that but right now i am located overseas in Saint Martin. The power here is the same as the US so i dont know what it could be. Any suggestions on where to buy one and what the problem could be so i can avoid this in the future?? thank so much

DB

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ouch. Sounds like you got a bad one. No one else here has reported something like that, so I wouldn 't worry about it in the future, except to say you may want to consider plugging into a power conditioned source ( something simple like a Belkin surge suppressor would probably do ).

There are a number of third party adapter makers out there. Check out sources like newegg.com

3. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

For a bit more cash, you can get an external battery with your adapter.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=6965

Note that for a previous tablet, I bought a third party adapter that had problems working with the tablet even though it "should" have worked. I've forgotten the details I'm afraid.

4. ElusiveA

ElusiveA Pen Pal - Newbie

I was curious so I looked up a few websites. Apparently Saint Martin is not all 110v like the US, several sites (such as lonely planet) list it as 240v. Indeed one site says

"The standard on the Dutch side is 110 V, 60 Hz, so in general, no converters or adaptors are required for appliances made for use in the US or Canada. However, a few hotels operate on 220 V, 50 cycles, which is the standard on the French side."

So I would make 100% sure before I plugged in another power adaptor!