Asus live update new version problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hello,
    The new version of the Asus Live update is showing updates available but the bios and software updates in the selection field are not selectable(not clickable)just plain texts. It says that the bios has been updated, but the install button is clickable. Though clicking it, nothing happens.
    Anyone having this experience? Not that it affects the tablet in any way as far as I can tell.

2. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

My zip fails every time. Or it starts doing something then nothing happens for a long time, a file in the downloads just sits at 6kb. So I shut the program down. I think it an update to the terrible problems with the driver update everyone had. Ironically the update to the installer is also failing.

3. Clauds

Clauds Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't want to open a new thread because it's related to the same software Asus Live Update.
    So I try to download the new version from the following link: ASUS - Tablete- ASUS VivoTab
    I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 on my PC and tablet (Vivotab) and I found that this software contain a trojan (picture attached).
    This software was automaticly remove from my tablet by KIS 2013.
    I open a tiket to asus support and I wait for an answer.
    I will not update or reinstall this program as far as KIS found any problem on it ! (this it's my opinion !)
    live_update_trojan.jpg

4. Lord Augastus

Just an fyi, trojans are programs that run their own scripts within the software. In the case of live update it has to delete the old live update and install the new version, at the same time reassociate all privious updates with the new program. So a trojan in software from asus isnt a hramfull on it is there just for the aid of new program.
    It would be identified as a trojan if it runs scripts automaticcally without need of permissions, aka without knowledge of the administrator, and it got flagged as such by your security program.

5. Lord Augastus

Holy mother of software. Magical event occurred, not 30s ago live-update new version managed to install itself. After two weeks of unzip failing, something changed.

6. Clauds

Clauds Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know what to say about this issue with this trojan - detected in Asus software - but for me, as fas as Kaspersky tell me that it's a problem with this software -> that it's a BIG question sign !
    I'm little puzzled because I don't see any previous posts/topics about this matter ?! Noboby use kaspersky antivirus or any other antivirus software that would be posible to detect the same problem ? I'm only one who detect this problem ? (weird) ...

7. TechlLuv

TechlLuv Pen Pal - Newbie

Fantastic, I hope others start to post the same news since i'm trying to place an order for a tablet before the weekend.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. illidanx

illidanx Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't even use antivirus software and never got a virus. If you know what you are running, there is no need for an antivirus program to tell you what is good and what is bad.

9. OzRob

OzRob Pen Pal - Newbie

What changed is that ASUS got its act together and uploaded the correct ZIP file to the servers. The previous one was a dummy - I suspect they uploaded the update and then pull it for some reason, replacing it with a dummy file, or they simply uploaded the wrong file in the first place and have since corrected it.

10. Clauds

Clauds Pen Pal - Newbie

Good luck with that :)
    For me: a windows machine with internet connection and without a good antivirus (not free solutions) = it's NO WAY !
    Until now - the KIS was the best solution for me - tested few times and providing very good protection ... so personally I follow this path for the moment.
    I got an answer from Asus - as i thoght: they say it's a false/positive detection. I doubt about that.
    For now ... that's my opinions.
    I will try to contact kaspersy to see what they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.