ASUS HD7 tablet - microSD card question

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by HoibO, Jan 17, 2014.

1. HoibO

HoibO Pen Pal - Newbie

I see this forum section is for the EEE. I don't see one for the newer HD7. If I may let me ask this question - perhaps someone will know because I don't.

I have a 32gB microSD card with music on it that I'm using in my Nook Color. I just bought the HD7. I took the microSD card,dismounted it from the Nook. I turned off the HD7 and inserted the MicroSD card and powered up. The HD7 "prepared the SD card' and I used the built in Explorer utility to go see the music files. None there - only a series of 7 folders with no files in any of them. The HD7 declares this 32gB SD card as being 114mB in capacity. I powered off and on. Same thing. I then went and took out a brand new 32gB card out of its blister pack. Powered off, inserted powered on. This time the HD7 detected 96mB of capacity on a fresh card just out of the box off the shelf.

Remember, the first card runs fine in the Nook because I unmounted it off the HD7 and remounted in the Nook. Files and music present in the Nook. The second card is brand new.

Question 1: What are the chances the SD card reader in the ND7 is broken? Both cards mount and are recognized.
    Question 2: Is it true that one can straightaway move an SD card from one Android system to another? Even if they're different Android vers?
    Question 3: Does the ASUS require me to do some sort of "prepare step" in order to use the SD card in their units? There was absolutely no docs.

I thank you for any clues as to what is going on with this otherwise lovely device.

HoibO

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. HoibO

HoibO Pen Pal - Newbie

Answer: Know what you're looking at...

The Nook SD card uses a special file system in multiple partitions. The data partition where the music sits can't be seen unless using that special file system.
    The new card is being read fine. I misinterpreted what ES Explorer and Explorer were saying about the card. I should have interpreted the read out as "96mB used" rather than "96mB available" Also, the onboard storage residing in the HD7 is labeled as "SD card" when browsing it, leading to further confusion - on my part.

Everything's fine. I really enjoy using this thing!

H

3. amorteo

amorteo Pen Pal - Newbie

I figured out it was a problem with partitions, good to confirm it in case I ever get a Nook. Thanks for your research.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk