ASUS EP121 Keyboard woes

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by YetAnotherDave, May 4, 2011.

1. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

So, my EP121 shipped exactly 31 days ago from Newegg.

Today the bundled ASUS branded Microsoft keyboard died. It worked fine this morning, but now it's dead this afternoon. Of course the first thing I did was to replace the batteries with a known good set, with the same results. With both sets of batteries the same thing happens - the green light goes on then off and the keyboard refuses to work.

So I contacted ASUS support. They say the tablet is warrantied but not the keyboard. Great. (No warranty at all??) So I contact Newegg, they say I missed their 30-day warranty by about 12 hours.

So I guess I'm in the market for a new keyboard. Unless any one has suggestions for how to resurrect this one?

Have others had similar premature keyboard deaths?

2. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the warranty card says "KEYBOARD IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY"?

What a shame!

How much time does the green light stays on?

Did you try to pair the keyboard w/other PC?

3. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine did exactly that.. green light, then it faded out.
    But, I simply re-paired it, and it's all good.

4. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah! I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events, but the keyboard started working.

If others are having similar problems, here's what I did-

* Fiddled with it for about 40 minutes, including deleting the bluetooth pairing and attempting to re-pair the device to no effect.

* Took the batteries out and layed the keyboard in the sun for a few hours. Let it cool down, inserted batteries and tried to re-pair.

* Gentily twisted the keyboard both directions several times. Banged it on the desk (not much to lose, right?). VOILA! Suddenly attempting to re-pair the device, the green light started blinking red like it should and it re-paired successfully.

Of course YMMV, but somehow this is what somehow worked for me. So much for the scientific method...

5. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

This happened to me with my first ep121 too. Blue tooth is so slow to work. I tried pairing for about half an hour too. Then when I finally gave up I rebooted a couple time, went for lunch and when I came back it was ready to pair the first time. I always leave the keyboard turned on, especially since blue tooth is so slow to "wake up" or whatever it does when it is not paired. Of course once it is paired it wakes up just fine after about one second. But when it is not paired sometimes it takes a long time to decide if it wants to pair up. My desktop is the same way!

The way I learned this patience technique is by pairing my other desktop keybaord when the included MS keyboard did not pair. The other one paired after about two minutes, prior to that it was not able to be 'discovered', but with patience it finally showed up. Then I turned off my desktop keyboard, removed it and then turned on the MS keyboard included. After a couple minutes I attempted to pair and VIOLA!. This technique worked for my replacement ep121 keyboard too.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...Any chance that this might be an intermittent switch...?

inexpensive slide switches aren't always very reliable...

7. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

Well maybe, but I never turn off my slate or desktop bluetooth keyboard. Due to all the windows updates there are many reboots at night, unattended and some of these don't always pair automatically with the keyboard (on my desktop). In those cases I have to go in and I usually see the keyboard in the blue tooth list, but when I try to pair it it autotypes the wrong key, then after that failure the pairing program comes up again and the second time does not see the keyboard for a couple minutes. This is all without turning the keyboard switch at all. Yes I have to press the discovery button on the back of the keyboard, but I can tell that is working because the display on the keyboard flashes it is in the discovery mode. Not sure how that compares to the EP/Microsoft keyboard we have. I do press the discovery button and the lights flash green/red until it pairs, but I leave the power switch always on at each keyboard.

My desktop keyboard usually goes four to six months on batteries depending on how much writing I do.

8. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

In the future, you should check with Microsoft to see if the keyboard is warrantied by them.