Asus Ep121 backlight fix

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by wtwilks, Jul 19, 2012.

1. wtwilks

wtwilks Pen Pal - Newbie

I've discoverd the fix for the backlight problem. often the backlight will just randomly turn off after jostling or twisting or having a little baby smack the screen (my house). Anyways this fix worked for me and it has been perminant so long as the plug remains solidly connected.
    Step 1. Remove back. it's best done with a credit card. it slides along and pops all the clips really easy (pic 1)
    Step 2. Locate the plug on the usb side of the device in the top right corner. Press it down firmly
    Step 3. put back back on and make sure it worked.

Attached Files:

kehtai, dakjoh and antinull like this.
  2. harbime

harbime Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for sharing. Seems cool fix.

Did anybody tried it? Please let us know if it worked for you.

I'll try it on my defected slate once I get it back from maintenance shop.

3. bodhijames

bodhijames Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried it, It worked for me!

4. spurflhr

spurflhr Pen Pal - Newbie

That was the best post ever. I was about to send my EP121 in for repairs and I did exactly as directed (except I couldn't get the credit card inserted so I used the smallest tip jewelers screwdriver) and carefully combined it to pry easily and used the credit card to depress each release clip. GREAT!!!!!! Thanks, now it works perfectly again.

5. mariobiron

mariobiron Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your post; actually did not need to pry it open: since you mentioned where the connector was, and that the fix involved simply pressing it donw, I gently squeezed the side of my screen and it worked; the backlight turned back on! Hope it will stick; i still logged a tech support call with Asus though but your post helped me a lot and hopefully mine could help others too!

6. wtwilks

wtwilks Pen Pal - Newbie

I've seen a couple ep121's on ebay for sale that have a backlight issue. I contacted them and they said they've seen my post and applied the fix. but there seams to be a problem with the backlight plug, it can in rare cases be ever so slightly loose. allowing it to come unplugged after a time. in which case you could probably tape a small piece of Styrofoam or something to the back of the plug so that the backplate touches it and constantly puts pressure on the plug. that might be the best option for "out-of-warranteev j

7. zimarof

zimarof Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your great post.. I'd have same problem, I tried your steps and It worked for me..

8. thydzik

thydzik Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks, worked for me.

9. SebastianG16

SebastianG16 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Worked perfectly.

10. Chris Baten

Chris Baten Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Worked!