ASUS Eee PC T91 Tablet Review

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Kevin O'Brien, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin O'Brien

Kevin O'Brien Site Admin Staff Member

The Eee PC T91 is a new netbook from ASUS with tablet features such as a resistive touch screen capabilities and convertible chassis. Starting at $499 it is very affordable compared to other tablets on the market, with only a small increase in price over regular netbooks. Hardware includes a an Intel Atom 1.33GHz Z520 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of SSD storage, and an integrated battery with an estimated 5 hours of battery life.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Check out our full review up on our sister site NotebookReview.com.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. ajreynol

ajreynol Pen Pal - Newbie

very interesting. I think I'd really like to wait for a 10" version, but I'm glad Asus made a move into the tablet market with netbooks. I really think netbook pricing might be that last hump tablet computing needs to hit mainstream.

point of information: does this kind of touch screen work well with Microsoft One Note? How is it for taking notes for that kind of normal touchscreen-enabled application, rather than the proprietary note taking app Asus built in?

Oh, and C|Net just posted their review. http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-t91/4505-3121_7-33721154.html?tag=smallCarouselArea.0

3. Kevin O'Brien

The touchscreen seemed oddly responsive, although badly in need of some calibration out of the box. Any app worked fine for pen input, but the included pen felt pretty cheap.

4. ajreynol

ajreynol Pen Pal - Newbie

I see.

I'd definitely like to try one out. I wonder if they'll be carried in local stores like Best Buy. 9" just seems to small in my mind, but when they hit 10", I'll be very interested...and at 12" I'll undoubtedly jump in.

until then...I guess I wait. :)

5. Kevin O'Brien

Well you can always say you need something just slightly bigger. To put it one way, it is a heck of a lot easier to use than the Fujitsu U820.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1326

That thing was small, impossible to type on quickly, and hard to read with a high resolution 5.6" display.

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I think the U820 is the perfect size for an ebook novel reader.

7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've already seen a GottaBeMobile InkShow on this unit.

Sadly, resistive only makes this one a no-go for me. Resistive digitizers are fine on screens 4" or less for stylus use, but anything larger and you really need an EMR solution for pen/inking use since it's an entirely separate subsystem from the resistive digitizer that would serve only for touch (unless the resistive multitouch approaches incorporate good palm rejection). If you see the InkShow video I'm talking about, it clearly shows the screen registering the user's palm on the screen instead of the stylus tip. Definitely not for inkers.

Furthermore, at 500 US$, it's still rather expensive by netbook standards. It would seem more worth it if they did include a Wacom digitizer solution in addition to what's already in there for the same price, though chances are the margins on this unit are already pretty thin as-is. In any case, I'm far more tempted to save 200-250 US$ or so and buy something like a used Latitude XT at that price point.

Nevertheless, this is a sign of things to come. The emphasis on compactness and portability in the netbook market is something where tablets can really shine, but the ideal product just isn't quite there yet.

8. koity

koity Pen Pal - Newbie

Hopefully this becomes the new standard for netbooks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.