Asus eee note review, from an artist :)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by latinvixen, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua.Lamorie

Joshua.Lamorie Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm fairly certain you will need to change the ROM to an English one, but I've only seen bloggers and journalists that have been able to get this with a review unit.

[snip... somehow.. the wifi is working now]

Okay, it appears that it will connect if something else is using the WiFi and causing extra traffic.

Thanks

2. DaEvil1

DaEvil1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Netbooknews mentioned in their unboxing that they flashed it with a rom. So I think maybe they can provide the file for you. Maybe if you ask real nice? :p

3. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

How is the web browser? Is it usable?

Also, do you have root access to the underline Linux OS?

4. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

I asked asus and they said no on the english rom. They do have it but you have to be an official reviewer of some sort to get it. The guy also suggested to wait for the american release and then ask for the english rom again to flash it.

So even asking asus they will say no. The chinese is really easy to figure out once you play with it.

5. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

The browser works well. No flash but the rest works just fine. For simple web browsing it works like a charm. As for root access I don't think so, no way to get to it from what I can see.

6. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

just a note that if you go here:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

and choose eee note, there's a section under Source Code, where asus seemed to have posted several softwares they used for programming. QT, SQLite, Evernot API etc....not a programmer myself, but will they eventually allow third party developers?

7. Ragnor

Ragnor Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking at the eee note for use in learning written Japanese Kanji. Seems like the note taking would be perfect for writing practice, but I also have textbooks in PDF format (can easily be converted to ePub) that contain writing exercises (kind of a fill in the gaps thing). For those that have it, how does the eee note handle annotation, does it even exist? Can you write on the screen when in reader mode? Is there a zoom option, and can you write while zoomed in? Can you then save annotations made to the documents?

8. JacksonVinyl

JacksonVinyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't mean to hijack this thread but if anyone is interested, I just purchased a eee Note from PC Home but I think I am going to sell it (or return it if needed). I bought it to take notes on for school but I think I am going to look for something with a bigger screen. I'm not trying to make any money, just what I payed for it. I really enjoy this site and thought I would offer it here before I returned it. Just PM me if you're interested.

9. bugmenot

bugmenot Pen Pal - Newbie

Go to the link two posts over this one from whaazzzuppppppp and you can find the Manuals in different languages.

Thank you for asking asus about the english rom. Fortunately i know a chinese guy from one of my courses and probably he can help me.

I'm a programmer and currently I'm downloading the source code from ASUS.

EDIT: Just took a quick look at it and it seems as if you can develop apps with QT from Nokia or something. Of course there are a lot of languages supported by QT, but ASUS does not provide the Operating system (of course =D).

10. DaEvil1

DaEvil1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have one (yet), but from what I've understood, you can easily annotate PDF's and ePubs in the eee note, but you wont be able to transport them to your computer without taking "snapshots", which means that you take a screenshot of the page you're viewing and saving it as an image. Apparantly the eee Note uses some new format which is only readable on the reader. Though I would imagine that it wont be that hard to convert it to a standard format. But as of no, I think you can only (easily) save annotations and such on the eee Note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.