Asus eee note review, from an artist :)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by latinvixen, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skoster

skoster Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you!

2. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Another video quickly showing how the pens work and the one that shows most pressure:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class='youtube-player' type="text/html" width='640' height='390' src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8EFnv1yydQY" frameborder='0'></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice review and great to see someone who actively uses this device, which looks very interesting.

I also have few questions:
    - Can you install third party programs (Linux/Market programs) on it?
    - How do you save/organize/share your files? I mean, if you take notes, or draw, what file format does it have. Can you copy it to a computer and post-edit them? Is it a bitmap or vector graphic?

4. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

As for the linux market I am not sure yet. There is a lot I am still tinkering but taking my time not to mess it up because of the language barrier. I have figured out most of the basic stuff, but market not sure. I will tinker with that in a bit and see if I can do something of the sort.

As for saving you save them onto a micro sd card. All the sketches end up being saved as .gifs in relatively large resolution. I have yet to connect the eee note to the computer but I am pretty sure you can transfer files in that fashion. The micro sd card transfers have been the easiest for me.

It does come ready with evernote. I figure out where to log in with it but unsure how to sync all my files with it. Will need to play with it more to figure that one out for now.

More videos coming as soon as I can :)

edit:

To organize notes and sketches it is very easy. You go into the make a new note section and create the main note there. Within the note you can make new pages. So for example you have a new note all about animals, you can continue adding pages you write and draw all about animals. You can also tag each page with keywords so you can use the search picture to find certain notes or sketches. If you create a new note it creates a whole new section, but leaves for example the animal notes with per say 10 pages intact. It is a great system to stay organized and find all your information without an issue.

5. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Ok plugged it into the computer. It does not like the mac so plugged it into the windows machine and this is where it got good :D. No mac support so make sure you have a windows pc.

When you plug it in you can choose a few things from the menu. The first option is to install the software that lives inside the eee note to your windows computer. It installs a ton of stuff and even wacom drivers. I am doing a back up right now to make sure if I screw anything up I have a back up. The program lets you install it in english so it makes it really easy to see what you are doing. Sync lets you manage literally everything. You can see all the photos in there, in full color. You can download books, import and export anything you got. I have a few pdf's I want to test as it reads pretty much everything. You can manage your sticky notes, sketches, music, sound files pretty much all of it.

I am waiting for the back up to complete and see if what I think is going on is correct. Seems like you can use the eee note as a tethered tablet to use on any windows computer. Let me double check this as I was able to move the mouse around on the screen without an issue which made me wonder how much they packed in this machine :3

More info in a bit.

6. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

I thought this couldn't get any better but I was super wrong :D

If you connect the eee note to a windows pc after it has installed all the drivers, you pick the correct option to use the eee as a tablet it works on your computer (the option is in the ee note). What I am saying is that your eee note turns into a full wacom pressure sensitive tablet for you to use in photoshop, sai, art rage, open canvas, anything art related (granted it won't re create the image on the eee screen but works like a bamboo tablet). So if you are bored of just sticking to the black and white images of the eee screen you can just plug it and turn it into a full wacom art tablet.

Wow I highly suggest this product hands down. I love you asus :D

7. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Evernote on Asus eee note EA800

I just figured out how to upload art from the eee note via wireless. If you happen to be an evernote user which I am you can easily just shoot it over if you have wireless turned on. Works without an issue and super fast. If you rather not fiddle with taking out the sd or connecting the asus eee note to the computer try evernote with it. You won't be disappointed.

8. plebianJay

plebianJay animation monkey

wow, the eee note is way better than I thought it was going to be. Seems like it'll be a great little sketching tool. It'd be great to see what the drawings look like once you've pulled some out of the device.
    Thanks for sharing and being a guinea pig for this device!

9. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Here you go :)

[​IMG]

Photo of how it looks on the actual device and a saved file from the micro sd. The sketch has been reduced in size but they come out a pretty decent size so you can ink and finish them on the computer.

The reviews I have seen have given the device sorta grim reviews. Maybe I just found all the good in it, because I really like it :D.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  10. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

This device sounds like a real find, I might look it up. I would have liked the sketch better with layers support but I guess I can overlook that.
    What ebook formats does it support?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.