Asus eee note review, from an artist :)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by latinvixen, Dec 31, 2010.

1. blurymind

blurymind Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my eee note a few days ago and must say that its quite nice for drawing... But not perfect. The one big thing that I miss is having a brush (in any software running on it) that acts more like a pencil. The pencil in the default app has no pressure sensitivity and is messy for sketching. The ink pen uses pressure only for line thickness, but not for opacity. Its a simple thing- use it both for opacity and thickness and have the freedom to tweak it. People on this forum are suggesting mypaint, but the default mypaint might not run so well on the underpowered device. I bet the maemo version of mypaint might run great,but not sure if it will pick up pressure.

The thing is that nobody has built enough software for the device and there is lack of information as to how to compile software and package it for the eee note.

2. neonnoodle

neonnoodle Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks like Pencil relies on ffmpeg, which I don't know whether the EA800 can handle.

3. blurymind

Its using it only during file>exporting as video...
    you can compile it without ffmpeg (disable at ./configure step)
    :rolleyes:

Draw animation on eee note, save to microsd, then move to pc and then color and cleanup and export video

also eee note's browser seems to play gif files without lag

i've packaged it in the past for slackware. Alas I have no idea how to compile stuff with qt creator :(

4. neonnoodle

neonnoodle Pen Pal - Newbie

Please read the toolchain tutorial! I have absolutely no programming experience and even I managed to compile one app in QtCreator running Ubuntu in a virtual machine on my Windows box...

Someone like you could actually make this a reality!

5. blurymind

well with packaging, 99% of the time whats not working for a package is a missing dependency. So we need to compile the libraries that the eee note doesnt have on its linux distro first. Then insall those on the build machine and get them packaged for the eee note. Then we can try and compile mypaint (which uses gtk- biggest of all, swig, numpy and python- quite a hand full of compiling and packaging for this one)..

Pencil on the other hand is using QT and some image libraries. ffmpeg is optional, as I said- i believe we can disable the export video feature.

This far everything i have compiled and packaged, I've done with configure and make ..or scons.. or from git and then autogen.sh and make.. but never with qt creator. I have no idea what to press there. I click on "build package" and I get a lot of error messages- i dont think its even starting to compile anything. I would try harder if I had ANY idea how to use that eee note packaging script. The documentation at its website is very poor- a bunch of zip files with a readme that contains a lot of information without context and no explonation as to where to start, what to use it on- how to set the configuration file of that app before compiling. On linux directories are pretty important. If an app cant find a library, it just doesnt start at all. Some times we have to create symbolic links to make it work.

Eee note is a complete mystery to me. Apps in its OS seem to be compromised of a single binary file. Is it mounting that app file in the manner that OSX does? Why is that not explained anywhere? It seems to be keeping its configuration/user files at /etablet... /home is empty.. i am lost here.. how does an app launcher look like. Where does it store the menu launchers? If someone sits down and writes a normal WIKI, then I will sit down and try to compile the libraries and then the software. I want it too you know. Because asus is lazy and minimalist (and for the good reason of keeping it lightweight) - the eee note linux os is probably lacking ALOT of libraries. This renders it dificult for us to get software running on it.

whats more confusing and complicates things for me is having to emulate the system and being restrained to using only qt creator. Most software on linux uses its own configuration and compile scripts. Is qt creator simply executing them? Can we compile anything non-qt with it then? Most good apps are not made of just QT. How do we install libraries to our dev-kit environment?

What if we want to create static builds of software that have all their dep libraries included in the install?

You see how many new challenges I have to deal with here? On slackware and ubuntu, anyone can package mypaint and pencil. The libraries are already there. The documentation , forums and community- big and healthy...you can even write yourself a build script that automagically gets the latest version from svn/git, builds it and packages it for you. Big distros use special Build servers, called "cookers". They automatically build the libraries and the software in the right order, package it and put it in the testing repo. People gain remote access to them to perform compiling tasks. If we had a special build server for eee note ,all libraries there, instead of this crazy setup here...we have risk of inconsistency. Someone might build a package but not include a dependency of a library. The package might run on his eee note, but not on your eee note. Adding to that Asus updates the firmware, which might force you at some point to also update your packaged software

http://pencil-planner.svn.sourcefor...v0.5/notes-linux.txt?revision=256&view=markup

its using libming for swf export (which we dont really need on the eee note)
    and ffmpeg for video export (again we dont need it)

when you draw in pencil, its just storing the individual frames as normal bitmap files. thats all we really need to have flipnote animation or at least a decent sketching app with proper pencil emulation and layers

http://lesstooges.free.fr/pencil/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8153#p8153

6. Nym

Nym Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I'm posting this just because I didn't noticed it at first, and so may have happened to others: the pencil tool actually does have opacity sensitivity based on pressure.

Just try it with the dark color and you'll see for yourself.

7. blurymind

I noticed that too.. but its low pressure level is no good for sketching- its still not opaque enough. If there was a way to tweak it to use a considerably lighter value of grey at its lowes pressure- that would really make a HUGE difference.

Whenever I use the pencil tool for sketching now, I end up having a really messy canvas- almost the same result as the one i would get using the ballpoint pen

8. Hausuke

Hausuke Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having this same problem is there any way to fix it? I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit if that helps.
    Edit: I just installed it onto a laptop running Windows 7 Enterpris 32bit and the pressure sensitivity is working. Probably doesn't work on 64bit?

9. lyingmachine

lyingmachine Pen Pal - Newbie

oh, there is a new version eee note sync update!

10. burgerproductions

burgerproductions Pen Pal - Newbie

I find the EeeNote Notes application good for Jean Cocteau style drawing.
    The sensitivity is too inaccurate to be good for proper sketching though, especially around the borders of the screen.

I have noticed that the shading of the gray scales on the Eeenote comes out very differently once its downloaded onto a PC. In the image below, the greys were much darker on the EeeNote.

[​IMG]

Despite its weaknesses, I do enjoy using it for sketching, especially as I tend to be less precious with the drawings than if I was drawing in pen and ink, and the undo feature is especially nice.
    I see that David Hockney is using the Ipad as his weapon of choice for sketching. He's got a huge exhibition in London bigging up the Ipad. I wonder if any famous artists are using the Eeenote in the same way ;)