Asus eee note review, from an artist :)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by latinvixen, Dec 31, 2010.

1. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Should work I tested it on windows 7 and no issue there. As long as the wacom drivers are in it should work.

2. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased my eee note about a week ago. With the help of others within these boards I was able to change the language to English. I have a few 'minor' irritations concerning the annotation feature that I would like to point out:

1) After removing the external SD card which contained my annotated .pdf files - annotations made using the eee note itself - the notes I had made were not saved with the file and were nowhere to be found when reinserting the card. It was as though the eee note had never seen those .pdfs before.

2) When highlighting text, or making handwritten notes, on a .pdf (not sure about epub), the 'remarks' - as they're called - are only visible at the zoom level at which they were made. To paraphrase, if you highlight at 150% and zoom out to 125%, your notes and highlights will not be visible until you go back to 150% zoom. None of this matters much though due to the fact that they'll all disappear once you remove your SD card.

3) I have been having some problems connecting via WIFI. My home network does not work, however, I can connect to a neighbour's unsecured network without problems. I guess it's hit-and-miss situation.

To be fair, however, I must say that despite these annoyances, I am very pleased with the product. I use it mostly for note taking and ereading and it's worked well. I am crossing my fingers that the issues mentioned above will soon be resolved through updates.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

3. Ragnor

Ragnor Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I finally got one after piecing together information from a few different sites that indicated it would probably do what I was wanting. For anyone else wondering:

Can use Pen, Highlighter and Eraser on both PDF and ePub documents.
    Can write on the screen at any zoom level. Each zoom level has its own annotations stored, which means you can only view the annotation at the zoom level you created it. (this was also indicated by the above poster)
    Can save a screenshot of the page in PNG format but can't export the file with annotations attached.

Some addidtional information regarding Wifi, it definitely does NOT work with WPA2 protected networks. Works fine with unsecured, haven't tried WEP or WPA (and don't intend to as those aren't as secure).

4. zeigerpuppy

zeigerpuppy Pen Pal - Newbie

I am considering getting an eee Note, was wondering whether anyone had tried out using the digitizer mode on Mac OS X, do wacom drivers work?
    Does anyone with an eee Note have a Mac to try it out?

5. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Ragnor,

WPA2 PSK using TKIP+AES mode works just fine for me. I get connected every time.

My router is a WRT-54g running DD-WRT v24-sp2.

pb

6. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd be interested in knowing how the eee note plays with Mac OS X, too. (Using it as an input tablet, connecting via USB)

Also just wanted to verify from what I've been reading here:
    1. If you annotate a pdf, you don't end up with a new, annotated pdf file. You have to save as a snapshot (.png) if you want the file with annotations saved and viewable at a later date?

2. A new note from the journal app is saved in a proprietary format (not .xoj for example) and if you wanted to print/send to a computer, you'd have to convert to a graphic file (.png again?) only - no option to export a note as pdf?

If the predicted release this month in North America does in fact come in at under $200 USD, I might seriously consider it if it plays nicely with Mac OS X.

Files are way more useful to me as pdfs though, since they can be open and annotated by Xournal on my N810, Jarnal on my mac and the journal program on my enTourage eDGe. They still can't be fully edited, as all those programs treat an imported pdf as a background layer. But at least I can access them and write over top of them. But all those programs can export to pdf too, so they can all work together.

I have to admit, I still never got around to using Evernote, so maybe that helps with the compatibility issues. When a journal note is "beamed" to Evernote, is it still just a .png file? (Forgive me, don't really know how Evernote works)

It sounds like if I were to go for this, it would become an infinite notepad (where I wouldn't expect to share notes with other devices so much as keep them as working lists/brainstorming ideas) and an occasional creator of handwritten graphics (if I had to send someone a solved math problem, for example - that's about as "artistic" as I get!) :)

I'm in a situation right now where I have a TON of Journal Notes from my Tablet PC days that aren't easily viewable unless I run Parallels on my Mac, install Windows Journal Note Viewer there, and slowly open each one and print as a pdf. So, I think that might be part of what's driving my desire to work in pdf formats. Maybe I'm over estimating that, since I'm likely to hang on to an inexpensive, fairly small tablet even if I stop using it regularly. It's not the kind of huge investment like a tablet PC that one might be prompted to sell to recover some of the initial costs.

Thanks for any input!

7. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received mine - how the hell do I remove it from case / cover? Worried Im gonna brake the case mounts as they just wont give?!!

8. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

Very carefully, apparently! I saw a video unboxing where the guy couldn't get the case off easily, so just left it on. And someone is selling a used one on eBay where he had broken a case mount trying to get the thing out.

Since I don't have one (yet) I can't help, but I can tell you it's not just you.

9. DaEvil1

DaEvil1 Pen Pal - Newbie

well, the bottom of the eee Note has a cut corners, so just put your nail in the bottom right corner, and push the eee Note to the left, pushing the holder on the bottom right, and it should come off with a little bit of effort. Repeat the same on the left side, and you're ready to go. Just remember to take it easy, don't wanna break your nails! I prefer it in the cover though.

EDIT: And to get it back, just put the hinges on at the top. And slide it in on the bottom ones using the cut corner for what it's worth.

10. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member