Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

@lintop8,

not that it's of much help, but i have the same issue with updating from my workplace computer as well. But i could do it from my home comp, so I havent really done anything about it.

2. whazzup

Low Light Viewing Angle Issue
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Id5zsOUpEgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eee Note vs Sony Reader: Low Light Viewing Angle Faceoff
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/akPodZdkqQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Potential buyers of Eee Note!

If you need to use&#65279; it frequently under low light conditions, for example, taking notes in a dimly lit lecture hall with your Eee Note flat on the table, you might want to re-consider...

I've finally found a way to properly show the problem I have with the Eee Note when using it indoors. I've uploaded a video demonstrating Eee Note's problem with light sources, you might wanna check it out before deciding.

3. lintop8

lintop8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, after another long night, here is the result. The update does not work on my internet solution. (either an Apple gigabit extreme router or Bigpond cable in Aus is the culprit). I borrowed a BigPond Wireless broadband card and the update worked successfully first time....

I also tried your updateClient, however it fails aprox 1/2 way though, I will give it another go shortly and let you know the exact spot for future refence.

Thankyou for your help, hopefully I can contribute more useful information over the coming months.

Pete

4. paretech

paretech Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone been having problems with the battery or the power management in general? I have a feeling it is a software issue and not that of a hardware. My EeeNote lasted one full charge, when I recharged and brought up the battery icon is empty. When I click on it it just says "??%."

I will try to upgrade the firmware when I have time but I don't know when that will.

I will admit I bought this product in haste. I'm a big fan of products with this capability and have some knowledge that could probably be used in hacking this thing but that's not why I bought it. I don't really have time for another project.

After I get this battery issue smooth out I would like to sell my EeeNote. I am in the USA (Texas) so I imagine someone around here would be interested, I just don't have the time at the moment.

Cheers,
    -mpare

5. vinillum

vinillum Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if anyone of you noticed this, but my Asus Eee Note acts strangely when used as a reader.

I have several technical books in PDF format and several in EPUB. Reading EPUB is truly a pleasure, whereas PDF was just horrible when I received Eee Note. The problem was that the text was blurry (I think that's appropriate term). But somehow after awhile it fixed itself and text was nicely readable in PDFs.

Before (blurry):
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After (nicely laid out):
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After some testing that's what I found:

* Whenever you reboot Eee Note, text resets to this horrible blur.
    * But if you open some EPUB before opening PDF, text gets nicely laid out

And this cycle continues... anyone noticed that as well?

6. steelshark

steelshark Pen Pal - Newbie

I found the the PDF files looked very bad. However, when I demonstrate the Eee NOTE to my colleague. I sometimes found the characters looked very good in opened PDF files and I have to eat my bad words.
    After reading your post, I tried to open ePUB first, and opened a PDF file later.
    I have the same result. The characters in PDF looked very clear!
    Thanks

7. jjsimpso

jjsimpso Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for mentioning this! Now that I know the workaround, pdfs look much better.

8. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi All,

ASUS has officially announced that the EeeNote will be coming to the US at a price below $200:
    ASUS Campus Life

pb

9. pbarrette

Hi again,

I've discovered how to read the key-pad from the command line. This means we can build a basic menu system for the hack installer.

I've also discovered that additional StarDict dictionaries can be installed in the EeeNote.

I have a beta installer that will do the following:
    1] Convert the language to English.
    2] Prompt for installation of the telnet server.
    3] Prompt for installation of the PhoneBook application.
    4] Prompt for installation of additional dictionaries.

I can also start the pen calibration in landscape mode, but the calibration app is rotated exactly opposite of the web browser. This makes the calibration somewhat tricky.

Once I clean up the output a bit, I'll post the new, menu driven installer script.

pb

10. whazzup

Price below $200 sounds good....now all Asus has to do is to make its pdf reading much better, or get ready to handle the complaints when the users start comparing it to the kindle....

11. pbarrette

Hi all,

I have updated the FullInstall.zip file to the latest version which includes a basic menu driven installer.

The script will convert the EeeNote to English, then prompt for the installation of the telnet server, PhoneBook app and additional dictionaries.

I have included the Russian dictionaries from the Russian firmware, but you can add your own StarDict dictionaries as well.

Dictionaries can be placed in "install\dictionaries\[name]" folders on the external SD card. The install script will then ask if you want to install additional dictionaries. Press the "YES" key and they will be placed on the internal SD card for use by the dictionary app.

pb

12. whazzup

@pbarrette

If i've done the FullInstall previously, can I do it again?

13. pbarrette

Hi wazzup,

The FullInstall will not reinstall anything that has been previously installed except for the additional dictionaries.

The English conversion, telnet server, and PhoneBook app are first checked to see if they have been installed. If they have been, those sections are skipped over.

Since I wanted people to be able to add their own dictionaries, I don't check to see if those have been installed or not. Instead, you are asked if you want to install the dictionaries each time the script is run. This way you can continue to install additional dictionaries by placing them in the proper folder and renaming "dvt_check.txt" to "dvt_check".

You do need to keep track of your own dictionary names though. Since I'm not currently checking them at all, it is possible to overwrite existing dictionaries if you run the script a second time using dictionaries with the same filename and folder location as an existing one.

pb

14. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi PB,

I was just wondering if there would be a way to add the english notepad templates to the FullInstall.

MA

15. pbarrette

Hi MRCNDRPQN,

Done..

The FullInstall now asks if you want to install the English note templates.

The templates come from a combination of the old, English firmware and the newer, Russian firmware. The Russian templates are actually all in English.

The installer replaces the existing Chinese templates with the English language ones from the Russian firmware. The English firmware's templates are added to the existing template list. That brings the total number of templates from 42 to 54.

The old firmware's English templates have a slightly different image format than the Chinese firmware's templates. The Russian templates are the same as the Chinese, just in English.

I have also changed the "Author" name in the template XML files to reflect the template source. An Author name of "Asus RU" comes from the Russian firmware, while "Asus EN" comes from the English firmware.

After the installation, you may need to reboot the EeeNote again before the added templates show up. The overwritten templates are available immediately after installation.

pb

16. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazing! I owe you a beer, or two.

17. copadevino

copadevino Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you, pbarrette.
    You are so- amazing. :D

18. wahaha432

wahaha432 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I have installed a toolchain for EEE Note using crosstool-NG. So far, I can compile a console application and run it on EEE Note. However, I also lack experiences on Qt programming.

The attached file is the config file for ct-NG. Note I have to download 2.6.21 kernel source manually. The definition of getline() in kernel source tree conflicts with that in stdio.h, so I replaced all occurrence of getline to getline_k

The crosstool-NG config file: View attachment ct-NG.zip

Currently, I have merged library files from EEE Note and those built by ct-NG. In order to build the sample dictionary application, I need to find all the corresponding header files for these libraries. It should be doable, when I got some spare time...

19. neonnoodle

neonnoodle Pen Pal - Newbie

20. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any way to view this file (a journal note written on the eee note) in Mac OS X? CAB is a windows compressed file, right?

Update: After searching I found this Mac Juicer program that mentions extracting CAB files from EXE files. (The program is mainly used to extract images and other media files from within other files, like docs or powerpoint presentations.) Does a program like this help me actually *read* a CAB file on a Mac, or is it just sucking the CAB out of the EXE, intending for you to access the file in another way?

Thanks for any advice.