Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. DaEvil1

DaEvil1 Pen Pal - Newbie

That could work, though I found the site a tad weirdly organized. Another alternative could be Welcome [Gna!]

"Open Eee Note" (why no spaces though?) sounds like a clean and good name.

2. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

I like 'OpenEeeNote' as well.

and a way to upload evernotes into eee note will be great!

Just wondering, will it be difficult to port xournal into the eee note? or tweak the existing note app for better drawing capabilities?

3. Shurik

Shurik Pen Pal - Newbie

According to Xournal's mailing list, it's now undergoing a major rewrite with one of the stated goals being to separate internals from the UI, so that different UIs could be written in GTK+ (as now), QT, etc. One of the people behind this push is Aniello Del Sorbo who ported Xournal to Maemo and now has to repeat this feat for MeeGo (based on QT). If we are lucky and everything goes according to plans, one could see the first QT port of Xournal at about Summer. More details here: SourceForge.net: Xournal: xournal-devel

4. Joshua.Lamorie

Joshua.Lamorie Pen Pal - Newbie

I've created a project at GitHub, Open-Eee-Note, and as later on this evening I'll start adding some content about what I've been able to figure out from the ROM, on-board SD and the Eee Note Sync (I have some early success getting a python script to talk to it).

As for my thoughts on applications, I think the first thing to do is get some sort of 'Hello World' that can integrate with launcher correctly. Then I would work on a separate app to view Evernote content. I expect there to be further changes and enhancements from ASUS on their drawing app, so I wouldn't immediately try to replicate what they have.

For my personal use a separate application for creating notes and adding them to Evernote is not a huge problem.

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

nice~

do give me a holler if you guys need any help tat's non-programming related, i'll do my best.

I must say that I'm rarely excited about a device for so long, even the well-built 2730p wasn't able to hold my interest like this little fellow.... Really hope to see it soar~ :D

6. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

l am writing this post from my english converted Eee Note.

More details to follow, but basically you change the default language to "en" in the settings file on the internal SD card.

pb

7. DaEvil1

DaEvil1 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. pbarrette

Hi DaEvil1,

You can perform a backup using the Sync software. If you look in the backup directory, there should be a "setting" folder that contains a "sys.config" file.

Edit the sys.config file with notepad and find the section that looks like this:
    [language]
    default=tc

Now change it to this:
    [language]
    default=en

Now restore the backup and reboot your EeeNote.

That should do the trick, but I haven't tried this method. I opened up the EeeNote, mounted the SD card partition in linux and edited the file there.

I would have used the above method, but I had trouble getting the Sync software to install on Win2K8-x64. The installer only likes XP, Vista and Win7.

pb

9. DaEvil1

DaEvil1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Can't get that to work. I take a backup, edit the file, then I restore it, and it's still in chinese. When I took another backup, I found out that the settings file had the "tc" in the setting. Right now though, I just stumbled upon the format user partition option* (thank heavens I did take a backup before I found that though.) So I'm trying to restore it with everything deleted...

It worked!!!

*Settings-> 2nd page-> 2nd last option-> first box

EDIT: It's still in chinese after you restore it. But after you restart it, it'll be in English. Assumedly because the language file is loaded in to the kernel when it boots.

10. pbarrette

Awesome!

I'm actually writing this entire post using the handwriting recognition function of the keyboard. It's rather slow going, but seems to be working.

In the input panel the top button is for english characters, the second button is for numeric input, the third is for chinese characters, and the last is for symbols.

The character engine seems to prefer a cursive character styIe, and doesn't have an intuitive interface for handling spaces, but it does seem to function.

pb