Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nym

Nym Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't know if it was already been talked about, but...
    I noticed that Calibre released a driver for the EEE Note, back in april; anybody managed to port it?

2. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

What does this mean exactly? I thought Calibre is just a converter for PDFs?

Is it some set parameters for the EA800?

3. Nym

Nym Pen Pal - Newbie

I've no idea, I'm not familiar with the program either, but I've seen it can work as a e-book browser, manager and sort of rss feed.

Could work as an alternative to the standard ebook app.

4. thescreensavers

I just reread though this thread again since I will be receiving my EA800 soon, and I have some questions

So forget the Fullinstall for the newer firmwares?

As soon as I receive my EA800 I will update it to the newest firmware and from there I can now set the language to English in the settings.

Are the pre set templates for the notes in English now? I read that on older firmwares changing the system to English kept the templates in Chinese to which the Fullinstall script added/replaced some templates from the Russian firmware which were in English?

Do we still need to do all this or is it all set and good with the new firmware?

5. adamherst

adamherst Pen Pal - Newbie

I plugged my eee note into the usb port in sd card mode while calibre was running. Calibre recognized it as an EEE Reader and synchronized my library to the book directory.

Calibre itself does not run on the eee note. I believe it's written in python. You need a windows/mac/linux box to run it.

Adam

6. Ramses800

Ramses800 Template Trickster

I just ran into some problems(and solved it).
    As it happens, I was uploading some notes to Evernote over a dodgy WIFI connection and found that no actual pages were uploaded. Digging some more, I found that the EEE Sync software did not display any notes at all in the EA800 when trying to backup them.

To summarize, the EA800 was working as usual but when exporting to Evernote or synching/backuping with EEE Synch no notes could be found.

I downloaded the databases with Dropbear/WinSCP and started looking through it.
    As it turns out, the SQLite database for notes(notedata.db) had been corrupted and I was getting a "database disk image malformed"-error when using SQLiteBrowser to try to repair it. Apparently, this can happen if a transaction to a sqlite database get mangled and I am guessing that the Evernote export had done exactly just that. Luckily, the Note application could work regardless of this, even adding and deleting notes/pages(probably has some lower-level access to the database files than the Evernote export/ EEE Synch).

Thankfully, internet came to the rescue, following these instruction, I exported the contents of the corrupted database file into a new file and downloaded it into the EA800.

Thank you Mescalinum for porting Dropbear to the EA800, without that, I would have been forced to to a factory reset and lost everything!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. thescreensavers

Got my Eee Note today! Its so awesome

Only thing that is bothers me is that the Camera is pretty dark, is everyones camera like this?

nvm its fine when viewing on a computer lol

8. domee

domee Pen Pal - Newbie

yep, the camera is crappy... I use it only to collect proof of all the crazy places where I read my books now ;)

9. thescreensavers

^ On the Eee Note its very dark on screen, but on a computer it looks like a camera phone, its not that horrible lol

[​IMG]

10. xjoaniex

xjoaniex Pen Pal - Newbie

OK ... so here is something interesting that is happening.

When I upload notes to evernote, they often appear reversed. ie last page first and first page last. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.