Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. vincenzoml

vincenzoml Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I am yet another Vincenzo :)

I own the Italian version too, and even if it's unlikely I'll have the time to disassemble the thing (but it seems to me dd can be used for dumping the internal SD), I will try to contribute to what seems to be great hardware stuck into a cage of crappy software.

I am wondering, instead of going the hard way, putting a new kernel, bootloader & whatever onto the device, why not going the easy way! As far as I understood, during boot, an executable can be launched from the microsd by giving it a special name.

Why not putting an entirely new graphical user interface there? I mean, create an executable that replaces everything in the eeenote. For example, the note application is so basic that it should not take long to rewrite a better one, maybe exporting to proper vector graphics, and maybe use xournal format, and cut & paste and nice things. I am now downloading the big bundle of OSS software from Asus, does that contain the code for the user interface?

I wonder how powerful is the cpu of the device: could it run xorg? XFCE? Gnome? Unity-2d? It seems that memory-wise we are ok, we have 256 mb of ram.

Also: the device can be dumbly used as a wacom tablet. That also "almost" works on linux - try that, your pc will receive clicks but not motion events. Maybe one could create a client on the device, that not only works as a tablet but also displays images FROM the pc, when connected to usb. That is, a wacom-cintiq-alike.

2. wahaha432

wahaha432 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Just found one qt-based sketch program, Quill. It supports vector graphics. The latest version also support PDF. Might be a good replacement for the note program in EeeNote.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. bugbuster

bugbuster Pen Pal - Newbie

I see that a lot of progress has been made on this device. Congratulations to all of you, with special kudos going to pbarrette.

I would like to interface the notes generated on the device (or possibly the annotations written on top of the ebooks) with a handwriting recognition engine running on a PC.

Bad news, the notes / annotations data seem to be stored in bitmap format. The handwriting recognition engine I use expects vectors (x/y coordinates for all the strokes).

Do you know if the strokes are available in the "internal" SQLite database ?

Also, I am wondering if anyone could help me transform my Italian tablet into a Taiwanese one in order to get the latest FW version ASAP.

B

4. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi All, I have managed to compile a file manager. It is based on cuteexplorer by Tommi, taken from the Maemo version. This one took a bit of porting. It still needs some work. I really need a decent hacker to explain how to init the busy icon when my app is doing stuff. Because I can't work this out, you need to remember that copying files can take time and the UI may become unresponsive until the file is copied. Sorry all for the obvious bug, I have had too much beer tonight to be able to even consider fixing it. In the mean time I hope the "VER 0" edition is useful. it is certainly better than using a console on a stylus screen! Enjoy fellow eeenoters! The binary is here.

5. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  6. vinillum

vinillum Pen Pal - Newbie

@mp035 would you send me the modified code for the file manager?

7. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

this is awesome man....there's literally new things to try every few days....

8. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

The source code for the modified cute explorer is here. I am happy to share any modified source (it's all GPL so I pretty much have to :) ) but at the moment I do not have time to maintain any sort of SCM so it'll have to be random tarballs.

9. vinillum

vinillum Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to lookup how dictionary handles busy icon, however, disappointingly, I couldn't find an instance of that, because the only place I saw that loading was when taking a screenshot - and all it does, is talks with OS through "eeeserver" channel, so OS handles busy icon, not dictionary app... oh, well - I guess we could just try to implement simple progress bar...

10. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Did you find what signal the dictionary sends the eeeserver? I have managed to get some QCop functions working, so I should be able to signal busy if I know the message.