Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. pbarrette

Hi shokley,

The FullInstall script will only convert your Eee Note to English if the language is set to Chinese. If your language is actually set to Italian, then it will not convert it to English.

If by some odd chance, it does convert your language to English, I can create an install script for you that will convert it back to Italian.

There is no Italian firmware on the ASUS site. I know you don't want to open your Eee Note, but please consider doing it. It would benefit a lot of people if we could get a full image your internal SD card so we can compare it to the firmware that is publicly available.

I have been thinking about adding the various languages available for the Eee Note to the FullInstall script. That way, people could change their language to something that isn't currently available from ASUS. In order to do that, I would need to see the translation files for other languages.

What firmware version do you have loaded? I wonder if you are locked into an older firmware because there isn't a newer one available in Italian, or if ASUS has a special download site for the Italian version.

Again, it would really be helpful if you were able to get a full disk image of your internal SD card.

pb

3. shokley

shokley Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi pb,
    thank you for your answer.
    Bootloader version is v1.0.4; kernel ROM version is v1.0.5 rtm build 82.
    I tried to disassembly the eeenote, but I encountered difficulties in doing it.
    Do you suggest me the right way to do it, without any risk?

Thanks

4. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I would say, Step 2 is the hardest, cos it involves wiggling the TOP and BOTTOM plastic till it comes out, with a snap....

5. wahaha432

wahaha432 Pen Pal - Newbie

The content of the internal SD card can also be dump with dd command. I have wrote a dvt_check script to dump these partitions. However, Eee Note kept falling into suspend mode, which is quite annoying.

Another possibility is to dump the partition after the system boot up. After boot, the time to suspend can be set to 'never' in the setting screen. In this case, telnet into EeeNote or use the consoleq application to run the following command:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/mss/blk0p5 of=/mnt/extsdcard/root.img bs=16K
    dd if=/dev/mss/blk0p6 of=/mnt/extsdcard/usr.img bs=16K
    or
    Code:
    tar cvf /mnt/extsdcard/usr.tar /usr
    tar cvf /mnt/extsdcard/root.tar /

6. shokley

shokley Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you PB,
    your answer are very helpful...
    But, what about my boot version? Is it compatible with your script?

Thanks!

7. twinengine

twinengine Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I'm a newbie on this site and don't know where I can post my question.

I'm having a problem with battery time. It shuts down every time with 'low battery' sign when I turn the switch on.

However, when I get into factory reset screen, it seems o.k. and after reseting,
    yes, still turns off.

What I tried: disassemble case and plug off the battery, a hundred times of factory reseting and english patch.

I think I need the original firmware. but not sure. :(

8. pbarrette

Hi shokley,

I don't have a copy of 1.0.5.82, so I can't be certain, but the script works just fine on the Chinese 1.0.5.81, and the Russian 1.0.5.85 firmwares. I assume your version is just a translation of the .81 firmware for the Italian market.

The script should work.

If something does go horribly wrong, an image of your SD card could always be used to restore your firmware to its original state.

pb

9. pbarrette

Hi twinengine,

What firmware version did you start with and which version are you running now?

I haven't seen any variations in the firmware which would change the power management for the device. It is possible that your Eee Note is actually defective, or the battery is bad.

pb

10. shokley

shokley Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you pb!
    Your script is good even for italian version.