Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Cheers pb.

I have eee-note-ized the solitaire app. It has a better colour scheme for the cards on greyscale, and proper location for the cards, with a bottom bar menu.

It's not perfect, and is surprisingly graphics intensive (svg is not optimal for this type of device), so be patient when restarting a game, or starting a new game. I have not worked out the busy widget yet, so try not to do multiple taps on the buttons if it seems a little slow. Enjoy! It is here.

@pb, would it be possible to update Full Install to include the new version?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

3. shokley

shokley Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm Vincenzo.
    Do you know if someone tried to boot Ubuntu OS with microSD card?
    And are there some positive results?

Thanks

4. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi shokley,

We don't have the kernel source code, so we have no way of compiling a new kernel. Since we can't compile a new kernel, we have no way to boot Ubuntu, or any other OS.

A good start would be to figure out the machine specific configs required to build an OpenEmbedded kernel for the EeeNote.

The other problem with booting a different kernel is that we don't fully understand how the current bootloader works, and we don't have the source code to build a new bootloader.

The EeeNote has a 128MB NAND flash chip soldered to the PCB. The NAND is separated into 5 partitions:
    mtd0 = Bootloader
    mtd1 = EngineKernel
    mtd2 = EngineInitrd
    mtd3 = UserStorage
    mtd4 = BBT

The internal microSD card has 5 partitions:
    /dev/mss/blk0p1 = SysParams
    /dev/mss/blk0p2 = Initrd
    /dev/mss/blk0p3 = Kernel
    /dev/mss/blk0p5 = Root (ext2)
    /dev/mss/blk0p6 = User Data (ext3)

We don't currently know the filesystem of "mss/blk0p2" and "mss/blk0p3", so we have no way of replacing the existing kernel or initfs on the internal card.

I have recently discovered that my ROM CRC calculation isn't quite correct, so we can't stuff a new kernel into a ROM file and let the updater place it for us.

Basically, I don't currently see a way to build a functional kernel for the device, and I don't see a good way of loading it or booting from it.

I've been looking at it and have some ideas about messing around with the partitions using a hex editor to replace the kernel, but I'd rather look for a better way of doing that.

I'd also like to find out how to get the emergency bootloader to restore a ROM from the external SD card. This would make it a lot easier to do kernel replacement testing since I wouldn't be constantly removing the internal SD card, flashing it, then replacing it.

pb

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

@pb
    Thanks for the dictionary tip!

another question:
    I remembered there was talk of the possibility of overclocking the eee note. Have we come any closer to that?

6. shokley

shokley Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Peter,
    thank you for you complete and detailed answer.
    I've another question for you...
    I haven't the possibility to disassemble the eenote and get the internal MicroSD...(I don't want to risk the damage the device).
    I looked at your mods in fullinstall.zip file and I want to install only new apps (solitaire and Phone book and telnet daemon) and new sheet templates...My device language is ITalian and i don't want to repalce it with english language....Is it sufficient to comment lines in "dvt_check" file? And, If the procedure doesn't came out well, How could I restore all without disassembling the device?

My question could seems to be banal, but I'm not skilled in these procedure.

Thanks!

7. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi All,

I have some more goodies, I've made a terminal app for the eee-note, so now you don't need to telnet in to make adjustments to your eeenote.

The binary is here.

This app was based on qtermwidget.

8. shokley

shokley Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    it seems interesting
    How to install?

Thanks

9. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Just worked out how to get a larger monospace font, I just updated the terminal app, it's in the same location.

@shokley: pbarette's dvt_check method is probably the best.

10. shokley

shokley Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, thanks, But, if method fails, how can i restore all without acceeding at internal 4GB memory?