Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Ya, I guess it will seem more relevant...

2. copadevino

copadevino Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated Rom.
    All custom settings has gone(tags, renames are all gone, :( )
    Chinese fonts are back.

PDF VIEW now cut upper and down side empty space, automatically.
    mean give me better view(bigger font size)
    Fullscreen view is great, but not support pen.

All I need is waiting pb's new telnet install, and need to test again, Korean font add.

3. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi copadevino,

The existing FullInstall works correctly with the new firmware.

I did warn everyone to do a backup before installing the new firmware. I hope you have a recent backup of your custom settings.

pb

4. pbarrette

Hi all,

It appears that ASUS has pushed the latest firmware update to the liveupdate server. So you should now be able to do the firmware update from within the Sync software without resorting to tricks.

Be sure you make a backup. The latest firmware update reformats the internal SD card entirely and you will lose everything if you don't make a backup first.

pb

5. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Ok, so I've had success with the Qt SDK and toolchain!!!

@wahaha432 thanks for the tip regarding the compile flag. I also found that Qt was resorting to hard-float for some reason. When you pointed me to the CMakeLists.txt, I changed the -march and -mtune to iwmmxt (previously armv5te and xscale) which caused the compiler to complain that hard-float and iwmmxt could not be set at the same time, so i added -msoft-float to the compile flags. I found this odd as there was already an -mfloat-abi=softfp in my compile flags. So there's a gotcha for someone else not to have to work out.
    So I have compiled a solitaire game for the EA8000, it is not yet suited to the screen resolution, or the launcher, but it works!!!!

I have uploaded the executable and the libQtSvg library, which is not included on the ea800 to :
    members.optusnet.com.au/pointings/solitaire_pre_alpha.tar.gz

You will need to "remount.sh" to get write access to the file system, then
    Code:
    cp libQtSvg.so.4.6.2 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/
    and then
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtSvg.so.4.6.2 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtSvg.so.4
    these are the required install steps, when pbarette reads this post he will probably post the required steps to run from the launcher, but I am just going to put it in place of sudoku, because math is what I do when I'm working, not when I'm playing games.

This example is significant because it uses an executable, a Qt library, and many functions from libstdcpp, showing that the toolchain can generate all of these things with 100% compatibility.

I'll fix the howto, and post it soon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. M0zz

M0zz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

It is good to see this going on before the device is available worldwide...

I was wondering, now that there is a specific forum directory for this, If someone could come up with a tutorial on how to set up a development environment, with required links.

I'm looking to get an EEE Note soon, and I have a few ideas as to what little applications I would like to see on this. But my software engineering skills are old (haven't coded in anger in 10 years), and actually setting up the environment to work in wasn't part of my remit.

M0zz.

ps. would QT applications (from the likes of qt-apps.org) be able to be ported to this?

7. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated the firmware through the Sync software, but I do not notice any significant changes to the system - especially nothing pertaining to the functionality of the pdf reader, or anything else mentioned above. Any ideas?

8. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

@M0zz: See some previous posts, I am setting one up, and will post a howto as soon as I get time. And yes, qt apps could easily be ported, especially if they use the QT4 api, we just need to do some digging into what the launcher requires.

It'll be good to have you as a contributor, looking forward to hearing from you when you get your eeenote.

9. copadevino

copadevino Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks pbarrette. :)
    I just did what you told. Restore backup and get my tags and renames back.

I don't know there has been changed internal server of EEE NOTE by telnet.
    I stuck to connect by telnet, so I treat your(pb's) dvt_check
    and make my eee note show Korean Font by euanKR's method.
    (all delete, input a korean font inside as Droidsansback, set it as default font)
    It works. but a little bit dirty look.

PDF viewers now automatically resize. (better than before)
    so I recommend do not make any custom document form for fitting to EEE NOTE.
    those forms i made for myself no longer works well.

Put just normal A4 B5 documents printed in PDF.

10. pbarrette

Hi MRCNDRPQN,

Could you post a screenshot from your EeeNote with a book opened in the Reader app? Also, please reboot your EeeNote and post the firmware versions listed at the bottom during the boot process.

You should have Firmware version "1.0.8.94" listed. If not, then your firmware is not the latest version.

You should also be able to see the language selection, keyboard languages, and touch-key auto-disable options on the second page of the Settings app.

pb