Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. wahaha432

wahaha432 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi mp035,

It works as you told. However, I still can not add a working entry in Config.xml. Maybe the launcher application uses some obscure means to determine the path of the application...

My guess is that beside the entry in Config.xml, we might also need to tweak:
    1. icon
    2. translator (.qm files)

However, the internal SD in my enote is currently messed up. I will keep trying and post any progress

2. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all,

I downloaded the test app again and was able to get it working.

I was also able to create a new menu entry for it, and launch the app from the menu entry.

My steps:
    Code:
    /usr/local/eTablet/remount.sh
    mkdir /usr/local/eTablet/bin/mp035
    cp /mnt/extsdcard/ea800_qt_test2 /usr/local/eTablet/bin/mp035/mp035
    cp /mnt/extsdcard/Config.xml /eTablet/etc/launcher/Config.xml
    cp /mnt/extsdcard/.Aconfig /eTablet/etc/server/.Aconfig
    The Config.xml file was edited to include:
    PHP:
    <Ap thumbnail="icon/icon_s_game.png" note="mp035" action="Startup" path="mp035" icon="icon/icon_s_game.png" name="mp035"/>
    The .Aconfig was edited to include:
    Code:
    TITLE=mp035
    LOCATION=mp035/
    LEVEL=1
    APPEND
    The .Aconfig file appears to specify the location of the bin file and what the title bar should read.

I suspect that the launcher app isn't actually running the apps, but instead sending a Qcop message to the eeeserver app that tells the server to launch the process.

I also suspect that the reason the test app takes so long to start up is because it isn't listening to the server's Qcop messages and isn't sending the expected status messages back to the server. Among the message strings in the eeeserver binary are "app/startLoading" and "app/stopLoadingTimer", which I suspect are processed by the server to determine whether the app has launched and is working correctly.

A look at the dictionary app's source code also reveals that it is sending and receiving Qcop messages, but I don't really know enough C++ or Qt to understand the message channels that well.

pb

3. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi kwoknero,

First, you cannot run HFS and IIS at the same time. The web server must be listening on port 80, and it appears that your HFS server is listening on port 8080 because you have IIS listening on port 80.

If you use IIS, you must also add a MIME type for .idx files to the IIS configuration.
    If you use HFS, you must stop IIS before starting HFS.

Finally, the reason for adding the entry in the hosts file is not so you can reach "http://localhost:8080/".
    You must be able to reach your own web server when you go to "http://dlcdnet.asus.com/".

So, when you open "http://dlcdnet.asus.com/" in your browser, you should be going to your own web site instead of the actual ASUS web site.

pb

4. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

@pbarette, thanks for the heads up on Qcop, I'll do some digging

@wahaha432, I saw on a previous post that you made a command line toolchain using crosstool. I downloaded the latest binary release from codesourcery for mine. I successfully compiled a QT solitaire application, but when I came to test it I found that the codoesourecery libstdc++ must be a later version than the one installed on the EA800, I get the message:
    Do you know if the crosstool compiler fixes this issue?

@all: Should I be starting another thread for the SDK/toolchain questions? (I'm reasonably new to posting on forums and unsure of the etiquette.)

5. wahaha432

Hi mp035,

I don't know enough about codesourcery. but in crosstool-ng, one can specify the version of kernel, gcc, libc, ... etc. I use kernel 2.6.21, gcc 4.2.4, glibc 2.6.1, and binutils 2.17.

6. copadevino

copadevino Pen Pal - Newbie

eee note sync program now(already?) servicing update.
    But I don't know why, I cannot connect to server.
    cable cutting by Earthquake? I don't know...

Hope Japan gets better.

7. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

hi, I also couldn't connect to the server as well, asus' problem with updating is still there. In the end I used pb's UpdateClient.exe to install the new update, but tat involves getting the internal sd card out...

8. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi Again all,

I compiled an ARM toolchain with crosstool-ng based on wahaha432's crosstool config, then used it to recompile the QT sdk. After trying to compile the solitaire application again (successfully). I try to run it from telnet:
    Does anyone know enough about compile flags for this processor to give me some pointers?

9. wahaha432

Hi mp035,

how about console programs like "hello world"?
    I have the following setting in my config file

Code:
    CT_ARCH_ARCH="iwmmxt"
    CT_ARCH_CPU="iwmmxt"
    CT_ARCH_TUNE="iwmmxt"
    and console apps work fine.

but the CMakeLists.txt file in the dictionary app from asus states:

Code:
    -mcpu=iwmmxt -mtune=iwmmxt -mabi=aapcs-linux
    maybe you could try this -mabi flag?

10. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

wow, impressive thread. Didn't expected that the EEE Note has that much fans :)

small off-topic:
    I just noticed that this device runs an ARM processor with a special OS.
    Maybe it's better to create a new Asus subforum in the mobile OS/Arm section and move this, together with all the other EEE Note threads there.
    What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015