Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi whazzup,

I agree with wahaha432. You should download a simple web server like HFS:
    HFS ~ HTTP File Server

Then put an entry in your hosts file:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
    127.0.0.1	dlcdnet.asus.com
    Create the folder structure:
    Code:
    C:\pub\ASUS\LiveUpdate\Release\Eee Family\
    C:\pub\ASUS\LiveUpdate\Release\Eee Family\EeeNote.idx
    C:\pub\ASUS\LiveUpdate\Release\Eee Family\ENote_0_Rom_TW_94_0308.zip
    My EeeNote.idx file looks like this:
    PHP:
    <product name="Eee Note">
        <
    tag bootV2="0" hw="0000" hwname="1.0.8G">
            <
    item name="FWBOOT_ENU">
                <
    description l_id='1033' title="Eee Note FW Boot"></description>
                <
    typedriver </type>
                <
    osWin7 </os>
                <
    versionV1.0.4 </version>
                <
    size3329725 </size>
                <
    zip-pathpub/ASUS/EeeAP/ENote_0_Boot_US_4_0126.zip </zip-path>
                <
    executenot use </execute>
                <
    uninstallnot use </uninstall>
                <
    index</index>
            </
    item>
            <
    item name="FWROM_TW">
                <
    description l_id='1033' title="Eee Note FW Rom"></description>
                <
    typedriver </type>
                <
    osWin7 </os>
                <
    versionV1.0.8.94 </version>
                <
    size231124181 </size>
                <
    zip-pathpub/ASUS/LiveUpdate/Release/Eee%20Family/ENote_0_Rom_TW_94_0308.zip </zip-path>
                <
    executenot use </execute>
                <
    uninstallnot use </uninstall>
                <
    index</index>
            </
    item>
        </
    tag>
    </
    product>
    I did it this way, so I can put both the IDX and ZIP files in the same directory.

With HFS, you need to go into "Expert Mode", then "Menu -> Other options -> MIME types". Add a row and enter "*.idx" for the File Mask and "text/xml" for the MIME Description.

Then drag your "pub" folder onto the HFS "virtual file system" window and answer "Virtual folder" to the pop-up window.

Now use the EeeNote Sync program to update your firmware.

Be aware that this firmware version changes the system partition size from 450MB to 650MB, so it reformats the internal SD card. This will cause you to loose all your files and settings if you haven't done a backup.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. pbarrette

Hi all,

I've reviewed the firmware update and can't find any noticeable differences between 1.0.8.92 and 1.0.8.94.

I extracted the ROM files for each version and did a complete, binary comparison on the full contents of each. There are a couple of minor differences in a couple of the linux support binaries. QtWebKit has been changed from 4.6.2 to 4.7.0 and back several times over the various firmware versions and is back to 4.7.0 in this release. From the .prc config file, it looks like this was done to provide better javascript support in the browser, but I can't be sure.

All of the EeeNote applications have been recompiled, but a side-by-side comparison shows no functionality changes for most all of the apps.

The Notes app has some large binary differences, but doesn't appear to have any difference in functionality from 1.0.8.92. There are some new icons in the resource directory and some text in the binary that suggests they are working on the ability to insert pages between existing pages, or possibly rearrange existing pages. The function isn't there yet, but it may be coming.

The Book Reader app also has some large binary differences, but I could not find any noticeable difference in function from the .92 version. The PDF rendering bug that disappears after you open an ePub document is still present.

Virtually everything else is identical to the 1.0.8.92 version that was removed from the FTP server the other day.

pb

3. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Hi All, Sorry to butt in on the conversation regarding the upcoming rom, but I have managed to compile an sdk for the ea800. I have made a test app, which can be downloaded from:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/pointings/ea800_qt_test2

The usual warnings apply, DO NOT RUN THIS APP ON A MACHINE WITH PERSONAL INFORMATION, THE STORAGE SITE IS NOT TESTED TO BE SAFE SO ANYONE COULD TAMPER WITH THE FILE (I don't know why they would, you'd get 100x more bites with a windows scam, but anyway, warnings are warnings). As someone else said earlier on, "I'm not a hardcore hacker" so I'd welcome any help, and ~700MB of web space to host the files and the howtos. I can rewrite the steps in open office html. I am very busy, so any legwork is appreciated.

To run the test app, copy it to a microSD card, put it in your telnet enabled EA800, and from the telnet console run /mnt/extsdcard/ea800_qt_test2 You should see the screen with my user name, and an inactive button, and a close button. From my tests the buttons work, and from my tests, the close button should close the app.

We can now write our own apps for the Eee Note!

4. kwoknero

kwoknero Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, need some assistance with update the firmware through Web Server.

First, I downloaded all the necessary files for the update.

I have a win 7 32 bit OS, from all the posts I read, I need a web server for the manually update. First I went to Control Panel and install IIS 7, also I downloaded the HFS just in case I need it.

I created the exact same folder and path according to posts, and I put those files into C:\inetpub\www.root\pub. So I enable directory browsing on IIS Manager, so when I type in http://127.0.0.1/pub on internet explorer, the link works, allowing me to browse different folder between EeeAP and LiveUpdate.

Then I went to the host file and type 127.0.0.1 dlcdnet.asus.com

However, when I went to EeeNote Sync Program, when I select Firmware Update, it doesn't allow me to update and told me to check my internet connection.

So then I try to use pbarrette suggestion with HFS, it still doesn't work.

I did play around with idx file a bit. I use the original path from ftp.asus.com.tw and pbarrette idx file. However, I still can't update the firmware.

The only possible solution that I did something wrong with idx file or my laptop is not really web server at the moment.

I have attach the following pictures for what I did.

Anyone can give me some help, it will be greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

5. pbarrette

Hi kwoknero,

You must have at least one of your network interfaces connected to a network. You also have to add the MIME type of "text/xml" for the file type "idx". Otherwise IIS will give you an error message.

Also.. If you use my IDX file, you should put the zip files in the same directory as the IDX file itself. If you use the ASUS IDX file, then the paths shown in your HFS screenshot are correct.

pb

6. pbarrette

Hi mp035,

I'm in the process of setting up a domain for hosting. I have unlimited bandwidth and enough storage to host what you need. I'm sending you a PM with details for FTP access.

I tried to test your application, but it is not displaying anything. I suspect that your web host is mangling the binary during download. It downloads as 24,018 bytes and a hex editor shows the last bytes as "_ZN7QWidget16inputMethodEventEP17QInputMethodEvent" with a cstring terminator (0x00) as the final byte.

pb

7. kwoknero

kwoknero Pen Pal - Newbie

pbarrette,

Thank you for the help. However, the sync program still refuse to update.

Here are the step that I did, first I reinstall everything on IIS 7 including stuffs that I don't need. Second, I simply use HFS software only, so I established the folder and drag it into HFS, I edit the MIME types as you suggested. In order to make sure that I am connect to network, I type in localhost address :

http://localhost:8080/pub/ASUS/LiveUpdate/Release/Eee Family/

(Please see the attach photo)

I was able to get in.

Of course I went to the host file and type in the following line
    127.0.0.1 dlcnet.asus.com

However, I still have no luck.

The only thing I can see is maybe cause the error is that when HFS random assign me an ip address, the address is 169.254.2.3. Other than that, I don't think I did anything wrong.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

8. wahaha432

wahaha432 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I tried mp035's application. It works in my EeeNote. However, I have to break the telnet connection to see the buttons. I tried to launch this app using launcher (modify Config.xml) without success.

9. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

Cheers wahaha432, it's good to know it fires up. The launcher is a little out of my depth, maybe someone can use the kit (after I upload it ... Thanks again for the webspace pbarrette) to recompile the dictionary application and give us some insight on what the launcher needs to fire up an application.

10. mp035

mp035 Underacheiver

I've been doing a bit of messing around, I renamed the calculator executable (/usr/local/eTablet/bin/calculator/calculator) to calculator_real, and then copied my test application in it's place as calculator. I did a reboot, and now when I tap on Calculator from the home screen my app pops up! It's very very slow to load, so maybe I've compiled too much into the toolkit. I notice that the top panel stlll has the title "Home" so there must be some way of displaying a title in the panel. The test app starts and closes successfully again and again.

@wahaha432: Could you possibly try the same thing, if it works, perhaps there's something extra required in Config.xml to add an application? (icons or something)

I'm having a little trouble connecting to the freeenote.org site to upload the files and howto. As soon as I get it sorted, I'll be sure to make it available immediately.