Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi wazzup,

The fountain pen in the Notes app appears to be less eager to draw very thick lines with little pressure. It now draws a bit more naturally with normal writing pressure. Previously, I didn't use the fountain pen much because the lines were always too thick even when using very little pressure.

I don't notice any glaring differences in the Notes interface. It seems to be slightly more responsive, but that could be my imagination.

I can confirm the support for FB2 file format, and I can also confirm dictionary lookup in PDF files. Originally, dictionary lookup wasn't working for me, but after the last reboot it works just fine.

Overall, I like the new firmware and plan on keeping it loaded.

The FullInstall script works just fine to load the PhoneBook, install telnet and add additional dictionaries. I didn't check the English conversion function because I used the Eee Note settings menu to change the language. I would suggest not using the script with the new firmware until you have changed the language to English using the settings menu. At least not until it has been tested more.

pb

2. BodeNGE

BodeNGE Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi pb,

How do you force a software update on a working unit? Your UpdateClient works with the device already in recovery mode. How did you update your working device please?

Thanks
    Bode

3. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

That is awesome~

However, another thing that popped into my mind. There's a known bug where it was impossible to upload notes which have more than 7 pages. Since no mention of it was in the list, I have a feeling the problem is still there. Can you check as well?

Darn....they need to move faster to push tis to EeeSync.... :p

4. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had one but sold it, couldnt get on with the colour of display or darkness. Im to used to backlit, I dont know what I expected. Ah well onwards.....

5. pbarrette

Hi BodeNGE,

There are a few ways to force an update:
    1] Run your own web server.
    2] Insert a blank SD card in the internal slot.
    3] Write a program to switch the EeeNote into update mode.

1 - Run your own web server:
    This is the method I used for this update. I have an IIS7 web server running on my laptop for other development reasons anyway. All I had to do was recreate the path to EeeNote.idx on my web server, then modify the idx file to point to the firmware file, which was also placed in an accessible path. Once that is done, update your host file to point dlcdnet.asus.com back to your own web server and run the update using the ASUS sync software.

2 - Insert a blank SD card in the internal slot:
    Putting a blank SD card in the internal slot will allow you to install the update using my UpdateClient program.

3 - Write a program to switch the EeeNote into update mode:
    The ASUS sync software uses this method. The sync software connects to a working EeeNote on TCP port 20000 and communicates with the EeeNote for syncing your data. When you use the sync software to update the firmware, a command is sent to the EeeNote which tells it to reboot into update mode. The sync software then attempts to connect to the EeeNote on TCP port 19999. The EeeNote Update Engine listens on this port for a connection from the PC Tools Update Client. Once a connection is established, the firmware update begins.

It should be possible to replicate this behavior without using the Sync software. The idea would be to write a client which connects to the normal sync port, issues the firmware update command, then attempts to connect to the firmware update port and issue the firmware update commands.

I already have working code to connect to the firmware update port and issue the proper commands, so that part is already done. I suppose I should write some code that can connect to the sync port and issue the commands which switch the device into update mode.

pb

6. whazzup

sounds tricky....asus....hurry up.... :eek:

7. pbarrette

Hi whazzup,

I successfully uploaded a 600kB, 10 page note to EverNote.

If the previous limit was 7 pages, that limit is no longer a problem.

pb

8. copadevino

copadevino Pen Pal - Newbie

the easist way. wait from ASUS,
    or pb's right. " Run your own web server: "

I have own one, but rather wait. I find some curious things doing backup. Those fonts I deleted(renamed internal memory folder) for reading Korean fonts, never get back even I did factory reset.
    And 'tag' always saved in internal memory. thanks got at least i have backuped.

the most important... BOOK DB SUCKS.

9. whazzup

Sweet!!!

patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue...

10. BodeNGE

BodeNGE Pen Pal - Newbie

For those brave enough to try the pb's IIS based method if you are running IIS6 you need to manually add the idx mime type as text/xml in the IIS Properties before the EeeSync software can see the file.