Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

2. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, thanks pb!

3. pbarrette

4. neonnoodle

neonnoodle Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Please let us know if there are any improvements/new features. Is there a changelog on their site?

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

6. copadevino

copadevino Pen Pal - Newbie

not yet updatable through Sync program, right?
    after update firmware should be re-customized(English, Telner, Korean fonts...). I hope viewers get faster.
    :)

7. BodeNGE

BodeNGE Pen Pal - Newbie

Not yet available via sync, and the zip file apears to be corrupted. Downloading again, will let you know how it goes.

Edit:
    Is actually cab file with the eTablet.rom inside.

8. pbarrette

Hi all,

So I just got the new firmware loaded and I've had a quick look around. The firmware is a complete re-compile with some of the core libraries updated to newer versions.

Since the partition sizes on the internal SD card are the same, my user data was not wiped out. The firmware update did break my dictionaries until I did a factory reset, but I was running several custom dictionaries, so that may not be a normal problem. That said, you should always do a backup before flashing the firmware just in case your experience differs from mine.

The first major difference is that the language is now user configurable from the Settings app. The available languages are English and Chinese. The EeeNote starts up in Chinese, so you should know that the setting is found in the second to last option of the second page in the Settings app.

The last option in the settings page allows you to choose the languages available in the virtual keyboard. This time, the available languages are English, Chinese (Pinyin I assume), Pen Input and Russian. The "Pen Input" option is the handwriting recognition panel, which now properly displays the symbol recognition menu in English, so you know what you're looking at.

There is also a new setting that allows you to choose whether the touch keys on the bottom are automatically disabled when entering the Notes and Reader apps. Each app's preference can be configured separately with this setting option.

The virtual keyboard now does an instant lookup against the dictionary as you enter letters. Word completion options are displayed in a bar at the top of the keyboard. Selecting a word from the bar will enter the word at the cursor position, potentially saving you some time from having to type it out letter by letter yourself.

Speaking of the dictionary.. The next major change in this firmware is in the Reader app. There are 3 new icons in the book reader.

The last icon is a dictionary lookup. Click the icon and you can highlight words in the document. Once a word is highlighted, a small box pops up with the dictionary definition. The box has a "more" link that will take you to the word in the dictionary. The lookup only seems to work for epub documents, as I wasn't able to select words in the few PDF documents I tried. The dictionary lookup works for all supported ebook formats. This includes PDF documents with embedded text.

The second thing you'll notice in the Reader is a full page zoom icon. Clicking this icon will zoom the document to the full screen size, minus the top status bar. In full screen mode, the stylus doesn't do markups or anything else to the document. You can use the Left and Right touch buttons to change the page while in full screen mode, and the back touch button to go back to normal mode.

Finally, there is now a landscape mode in the Reader. The landscape mode puts you into full screen landscape mode. Again, the page buttons turn the pages, while the back button takes you back to normal.

In both the full-screen and landscape modes, the touch buttons are automatically enabled if they were disabled previously.

That covers the major differences I have discovered so far. Since there are several major changes, I will be testing the FullInstall script over the next couple days to ensure that there are no conflicts with the new firmware's files.

pb

9. copadevino

copadevino Pen Pal - Newbie

what a great! Asus never sleeps.

10. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Translated from mobile01 forums:

1. Improved ebook and note UI (電子書與筆記的使用介面改善)

2. Switch between chinese and english UI (中英文介面切換)

3. Dictionary function from within ebook app (看書時可選字查字典)

4. Choosing of characters in text input? (輸入法增加候選字功能)

5. Improved auto text input changing (輸入法自動切換改良)

6. Manual selection of text input methods (可設定需使用哪些輸入法)

7. Ink pen pen width changed to 8 (or max pen width changed to 8, not very clear...) (調整沾水筆的寬度至8)

8. Support for FB2 (files/format/folders? not sure...) (支援FB2檔案)

9. Landscape and full screen ebook reading modes (支援橫式閱讀, 支援全螢幕閱讀)

10. Ability to start the playback of recorded audio files from the middle (錄音檔案可以從中間開始聽)

@pb do you mind testing the ink pen? Curious to see what has changed....

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015