Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. BodeNGE

BodeNGE Pen Pal - Newbie

(haven't) Found the problem with custom templates and Evernote. The files need to be PNG-24 encoded, not png-8 (with or without transparency). Depending on which image editing program you use it may default to png-8 for certain modifications to the Asus templates. Will update my earlier post with this info.

Edit: actually that isn't it either. As Kreed noted you need to save the blank template as the origional file, then rename. I still haven't found the right format for Save As operations.

Cheers,
    Bode

2. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi wahaha432,

It is a russian firmware. I had difficulty loading it with my emergency load tool, so I can't say anything about the functionality. The zip file also contains the Boot.rom which is exactly the same as the current public release version.

The russian firmware does have all the note templates in English. Almost all of the binaries are the exact same byte-count as the current firmware, but have minor differences when a binary comparison is done. The differences are probably due to the binaries having been recompiled with no changes being made to the code. The Russian firmware also contains a English-Russian / Russian-English dictionary instead of the Chinese. It also contains russian ".qm" translation files, and the default language is listed as "ru".

Finally the compile date of the Russian firmware appears to be 17-Jan-2011, while the compile date of the current Chinese firmware appears to be 26-Jan-2011.

Virtually everything else is an identical binary match to the current firmware.

pb

3. clax

clax Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently got mine sent from Taiwan.
    Of course I updated to the latest firmware via Eee Note Sync, and landed
    on the Chinese version, and had to revert to the supplied flash memory with english firmware.

Does any of you gents know when an official new and supported firmware is coming?

Any good forum for Eee Note users that you can recommend?

best regards,
    Claes

4. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all,

The good people here are creating lotsa of good stuffs, it's just incredible! However, since I can't create anything, I will contribute by destroying.

The Eee Note, glass screen removed....
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width='480' height='390' src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1vYgninnqns" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just to add on, the glass weighed about 50g, so I got to lay off some fats on the Note, in return for an uglier front, lol....

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. Alatriste

Alatriste Pen Pal - Newbie

i just wanted to say thank you for this - i stuck with the mandarin for a while cos it just looked so beautiful but after reformatting by accident on more than one occasion, an english version is fabulous ...

now, why does my eee note present as a 2 page list and everyone else seems to have 2 columns? can't find that setting even in english!

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. pbarrette

Hi Alatriste,

The 2 column interface is part of the v1.0.5.81 firmware update.

pb

7. pbarrette

Hi whazzup,

That's a great demonstration. While I would like to see better accuracy from the pen, I don't think I'm willing to remove the protective glass to get it.

Since you've gone that far, maybe you could get some photos of what's behind the black plastic cover inside. Or maybe find a part number for the LCD screen and controller IC. Having more information about the hardware certainly can't hurt and may help with future development.

To be honest, I'm not really that good with linux and I don't really have any C++ development skills. I primarily work with Windows systems and do my development in C# .NET which doesn't help at all when it comes to developing software for the EeeNote itself.

I'm really hoping that someone from the Zaurus community buys an EeeNote. The Sharp Zaurus SL series was based on embedded linux with a Qt interface and ran on xScale processors and had a very strong development community. If the Zaurus community developers got interested in the EeeNote, I suspect that many of the Zaurus applications could be easily ported to work on the EeeNote.

pb

8. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried doing that when I dismantled the Eee Note last time, but after unscrewing the back of the eee note pcb board, i found tat the lcd was glued to the digitizer board, and i was afraid that i will damage the digitzer or lcd irreversibly, so I didn't go any further.

As for the glass, after looking at the seams and poking around with a screwdriver, it was clear tat it was just glued on, so as long as the glass didn't scratch the underlying display, there was relatively little risk involved.

And after taking the glass off, I realised:
    Glass: 1mm
    Screen Protector: 0.3mm?
    Gap between glass and display: another 0.3mm?

So there's almost a 2mm gap from the display to our pen tip. But I'm just nitpicking. :D

Interesting news about the Zaurus community, but I guess like you said, we'll probably have to wait for someone to purchase a unit...

9. lintop8

lintop8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

Thankyou for this very informative and useful discussion. I have been so interested that I lashed out and brought a eeeNote from ebay!

So far I have pulled the SD out and have been having a look at the OS. I do have a quesation though that is driving me crazy. The sync program will not let me upgrade from 1.0.1 rc Build 71 TW. It keeps saying that it is unable to contact the update site??? I have tried a new build of W7 to make sure that it isn't the problem.

I have made a copy of the SD, hoping that I could use the eTablet.rom file to upgrade to 1.0.5 however from further reading I see that this is a lot harder than first thought. Does anyone have any ideas on either:

a) why the upgrade process is blocking me. (I can reach the site through the browser)

b) how I can go about updating the version manully?

p.s. I have put the unit into update mode by putting a FAT sd into the slot and resetting. I have then changed the sd to the original good copy and attempted to run updateclient. However it fails while writing the bit maps.

Pete

10. pbarrette

Hi lintop8,

Here are some possible solutions:
    1] Are you sure the Windows Firewall isn't blocking the EeeNoteSync program?

2] Check your "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\EeeNote\tempRom" folder. The update file is downloaded there, then extracted and loaded. The zip file is not actually a zip file, but a Microsoft CAB file and the software sometimes has difficulty extracting the file.

3] When you have the EeeNote in update mode, you cannot change the internal SD card then use the UpdateClient.

The steps to using my UpdateClient are as follows:
    1] Insert a blank or FAT/FAT32 formatted SD card into the EeeNote.
    2] Power on the EeeNote or hit the reset button if it's already on.
    3] Wait 30 to 45 seconds after the EeeNote says it's waiting for a PCTools connection.
    4] Run the UpdateClient software with:
    UpdateClient.exe "C:\Path\To\eTablet.rom"

You cannot hot-swap the SD cards in the emergency update mode. If you are in that mode and want to change the SD card, you must reset the device.

Also note that a firmware upgrade erases all data that you have stored on the internal SD card. If you don't have a backup, you will lose all your notes, books, pictures, etc.

pb