Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

hi, pls check ur pm.

2. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok...

I've hacked together bits decompiled from the Sync software..

It's ugly as hell, command-line only, but it's currently burning a blank internal SD card from a eTablet.rom file using the USB connection and the UpdateEngine recovery screen.

Once I've done a little more testing, we should have a working recovery method which doesn't require disk images.

pb

3. pbarrette

Hi all,

Here it is:
    http://www.peterbarrette.com/EeeNote/UpdateClient.zip

Please note.. My additions to the ASUS code just ensure that you have provided the name of a valid file.

If you are stuck at the "Asus Update Engine" screen and it's asking to connect to PC Tools, you can use this to recover.

Connect the USB cable, wait approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute, then run:
    UpdateClient.exe "C:\Path\to\eTablet.rom"

It's a console application, so it will start spitting out lots of info about the load process. You should also see the progress on the EeeNote screen.

Once the EeeNote screen shows that the load is complete, you can disconnect the USB cable and use the reset button to boot.

While the program is loading the firmware, DO NOT PRESS ENTER. I'm using the enter key to force my thread to wait while the firmware is loading. If you hit enter, the program will terminate even if the firmware is still being loaded.

If that occurs, you can remove your internal SD card, format it, reinsert it, then try again.

pb

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

wow, thanks for all the great work thus far! So this is only applicable for when the updating process gets stuck at PC Tools?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. pbarrette

Hi wazzup,

The tool is to be used in 2 situations:
    1] You want to create a factory clean load on an empty SD card.

2] You had a bad firmware update, but your bootloader is still intact.

In either case, if you boot your EeeNote it can be stuck at a screen which shows the bootloader version at the bottom and a box at the top titled "Asus Eee Note Upgrade Engine" and the contents of the box tell you that it's waiting for a PC Tools connection. This state is the emergency recovery mode.

In the second case, your EeeNote may be stuck somewhere in the firmware boot process. If that is the case, you will need to open the EeeNote and format the internal SD card. When you boot with a blank, formatted internal SD card, you will get a screen as described above.

When you come to that screen, connect the USB cable, wait for about 30 seconds to ensure the network is functioning, then use the tool.

The tool takes a standard, ASUS eTablet.rom as found in the downloadable firmware zip file. It then loads that firmware to a clean SD card in the EeeNote.

When it's finished, you can use the reset button on the EeeNote and it will proceed to boot correctly.

pb

6. lifeinhisway83

lifeinhisway83 Pen Pal - Newbie

As an update, I used the original rom that whazzup sent me last night and was able to get my note to load again.

Thanks pbarrette and whazzup for the information and assistance.

7. DaEvil1

DaEvil1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have quite a bit of the information you're seeking in this post: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/37789-asus-eee-note-peek-within-7.html#post217625

If I'm not too lazy I may get something done on that in the not too distant future.

8. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks DaEvil1.

I know that some of you have had success with swapping the 4GB internal SD Card with an 8GB SD Card; Do you think this would be work with a 16GB card as well. Also, as I understand, to do this, all I would have to do is follow the directions posted above by pb, is that right?

9. pbarrette

Hi MRCNDRPQN,

That would work. Others who have swapped the internal card for a larger one have done so by making a disk image of the original 4GB card, then restoring it to the new, larger card. To access the additional 4GB of space, you would then need to reset your EeeNote to factory condition using the Settings menu, or update to new firmware with the Sync software.

I was able to upgrade to a larger card by replacing the 4GB with a formatted, empty 8GB, then loading new firmware using my program.

I don't know if anyone has tried a 16GB card, but I would expect it to work. There are some Taiwanese sites that appear to be selling the EA-802, which appears to be a 16GB model of the EA-800:
    ASUS Eee Note EA-802(16G)¹q¤l¤â¤ã ,EeePC¡¹»´Á¡¬ü«¬,ASUS EeePC¡¹º¡¸U°e500Áʪ«ª÷,¤pµ§¹q - Yahoo!©_¼¯Áʪ«¤¤¤ß

You can always try my method with no risk to your device. If you have problems, your original 4GB card is untouched, so you can replace it any time.

pb

10. pbarrette

Hi MRCNDRPQN,

There are 2 usable partitions on the internal SD card. One is the primary filesystem partition which is mounted as read-only, while the second is used to store user data and is mounted as read-write.

One of the first commands in the dvt_check script is used to re-mount the filesystem partition as read-write, which should allow you to copy the phonebook binaries into place. It appears that this is not happening in your case. It appears that the filesystem is staying mounted as read-only, so you can't copy over the phonebook application and resource files.

I have seen this behavior before on my EeeNote and it usually seems to occur when I have other files on the root of the external SD card. I would suggest that if you have other files on your external SD card, try removing them while you are running the FullInstall.

If you like, I can put together a diagnostic check script that will check if the partition is mounted as read-write to verify that this is the problem.

Also.. If your EeeNote is hanging at the loading screen, or hanging at any other screen for that matter. You should be able to hold your finger on the Home button (bottom middle soft button) for about 5 seconds. A screen should appear asking if you really want to kill the process.

If you hit "Yes" on this screen, the "launcher" application is killed and respawned. This will let you back into the EeeNote without using the reset button.