Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi lifeinhisway83,

Check your PM's.

2. pbarrette

Hi all,

MrcNdr is correct. There was a problem with the IF statement in the dvt_check script that was causing the phonebook to not be installed.

I have fixed the FullInstall and verified with a factory reset that the phonebook is now installed.

pb

3. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.

I just did a factory reset on my enote and updated the system from the fullinstall; this time the phonebook app is visible, however, when I try to access it, the system hangs at the loading screen.

And, on an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that whenever notes are made on .pdf files - i.e. highlighting text etc. - it's only visible at the zoom level at which it was originally made. For example, if I'm at Zoom 150% and highlight text, the highlighting will not be displayed at 125% or any other zoom level for that matter. Furthermore, where are these 'remarks' saved? When I removed my SD card and put it back in, all my notes and highlighting had disappeared. Any ideas about this?

4. Manyak

Manyak Scribbler - Standard Member

Man, you guys make me wanna buy an eeenote now just to hack it lol.

5. lifeinhisway83

lifeinhisway83 Pen Pal - Newbie

I burned the rom to my micro sd card, put it back in place and now it says:

Start system failed, now waiting for connection of pc tools but when I connect it via USB it does nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks again for all the help thus far!

6. pbarrette

Hi,

That's the emergency bootloader, which Asus calls, the "Asus Update Engine System". This suggests that the image I gave you wasn't copied to the card correctly.

I used WinHex to make a sector by sector copy of the SD card. You should be able to restore it using any software which can read that file as a raw image and copy it sector by sector back to the SD card.

The EeeNote has internal memory where the bootloader is stored. Updating with a new Boot.rom file overwrites that memory with a new bootloader. A failure there would be fatal for the EeeNote, but yours appears to be intact.

If the EeeNote can't boot from the internal SD card, the "Asus Update Engine System" takes over. The text in the binary suggests that there are 2 ways to flash a new, unformatted SD card from the bootloader:
    1] Use the PC Tools over the USB connection.
    2] Place the firmware's eTablet.rom on the root of an external SD card.

There is supposed to be a menu that comes up which allows you to choose between the two methods, but I have been unsuccessful in getting that choice to appear.

The PC Tools connection always fails to sync, because the EeeNote is listening for a connection on the "UpdateServer" at TCP port 19999, while the PC Tools are trying to connect to the normal sync "Server" on TCP port 20000. During normal operation, you can use the PC Tools to sync with the EeeNote, then choose to perform a firmware upgrade if one is available. When you choose to perform a firmware upgrade, the EeeNote launches the "Asus Update Engine System" and the PC Tools program reconnects to the "UpgradeServer" on port 19999 to perform the firmware update.

Unfortunately, the PC Tools program will not allow you to access the firmware upgrade functions if you have not made a successful connection on the normal server port.

The second option involves putting the eTablet.rom on an external SD card. The upgradeengine binary suggests that it looks for both "/mnt/extsdcard/eTablet.rom" and "/mnt/extsdcard/Boot.rom", then provides a menu where you hit the LEFT button to choose an SD based upgrade, or the RIGHT button to choose a PC Tools upgrade. Even when I have the files on the external SD card, the menu does not appear and the upgradeengine always goes to "waiting for connection of PC Tools".

The binary's text also suggests that there is a hotkey which allows you to enter the upgradeengine, but I haven't found that either. I've tried holding down each softkey key, including the power button, while pressing the reset button. I've tried every combination of power button and single softkey, as well as power button and several softkey's and just several softkeys and have not been able to reach the upgradeengine menu.

My next plan is to decompile the PC Tools software, extract the firmware update sections, then recompile back into something that can update the firmware when the EeeNote is displaying the "Asus Update Engine System" because of a failed firmware load.

Be aware, that may take some time.

pb

7. lifeinhisway83

Thanks for the detailed information! Can you recommend a good program for copying the image sector by sector?

8. pbarrette

Hi lifeinhisway83,

You can use "dd" to copy raw images to disks and vice versa:
    http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip

You would first get a list of the SD cards on your system:
    Code:
    C:\>dd --list --filter=removable

NT Block Device Objects
    \\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0
      link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR16
      Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512
      size is 7973371904 bytes
    In my case, the SD card is Harddisk1. Since the image is a full disk image, you want Partition0, which is linked to "\\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR16".

Both "dd.exe" and "SD.img" are on the root of my C:\ drive.
    So, to restore the image to the card, I would type:
    Code:
    C:\>dd --progress bs=1M if=C:\SD.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR16
    This exact procedure worked for me with an 8GB SD card that didn't come with the EeeNote.

pb

9. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

In terms of the phonebook app. I noticed the following error message on my external SD Card:

10. lifeinhisway83

Thanks! I just tried that and its giving me the same message.