Asus Eee Note, a peek within....

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by whazzup, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all,

The EeeNoteGif program has been updated:
    - It will now accept GIF, JPG, PNG and BMP images.
    - If the images are not 768x888 resolution they will be resized.
    - If the image is resized, it will also be converted to grayscale.
    - Your original images are not modified. All image modification is done to temp files in your temp directory.
    - If all of your files are rejected, a .NTE file will not be created.

Again, if you have any problems.. Let me know.

pb

2. navus

navus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I've no idea what you guys are talking about but thank you so much for all the effort you've been putting in. I can now at least using my Eee Note without flipping through the English manual :D Keep up the good work.

3. MRCNDRPQN

MRCNDRPQN Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I've been following this thread for about a week now and have found it extremely useful. Thanks for all the hard work. I have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer in laymen's terms as I'm not as tech-savvy as most of you are.

I followed the directions above using the FullInstall.zip file and managed to change the language of my recently purchased enote to English. Everything worked fine, however, I have noticed that the phonebook applications is nowhere to be found.

Second, I've noticed when exporting my notes, it creates a .nte file. I think I understand the general concept of what this file format is, however, I still don't know how to open and view these on my PC.

Finally, there are a bunch of pre-loaded note 'backgrounds' on which you can take notes on (e.g. weekly planner, grid, horizontal lines, vertical lines etc.) however, mine are all in Chinese. Is there a way to replace these with English ones? Also, is there a way to add my own custom 'backgrounds' to access them in the same way as I would the ones designed by Asus?

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    MrcNdr

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. lifeinhisway83

lifeinhisway83 Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my EEE Note today, went to update, and my laptop died when it was burning the kernel (97% complete :( ) Now it won't boot, what is the process for getting the note to boot again?

Thanks!

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

woah...that's really unfortunate...hmm, i can provide you with the backup rom, but I did it the primitive way: Open up the eee note to retrieve the microsd and burn the image.

So maybe the guys here have a way of resurrecting a dead eee note using the external microsd card?

6. pbarrette

Hi MrcNdr,

1] There should be an "error.txt" file that was created on your external SD card which lists any errors. If the phonebook app wasn't copied correctly, the error should be there.

2] The .nte file is a CAB file. Rename it from .nte to .cab and open it with WinRAR, or similar.

3] The template images could be replaced. There are 2 png images per template, plus an XML descriptor file for each template. If we had a set of images to replace the chinese templates with, we could easily add it to the FullInstall compilation, or create a separate installer just for that.

pb

7. lifeinhisway83

That would be really helpful.

Thanks!

8. pbarrette

Hi lifeinhisway83,

Do you see anything displayed on the screen at all?

It just so happens that I'm trying to figure out how the emergency restore function works now.

There are 2 possible scenarios:
    1] You were loading the "Boot" update.
    2] You were loading the "Firmware" update.

If it's #1 and now you see nothing, then you may be screwed.
    But if it was #2 and now you see the "Asus Update Engine System", or you at least see some data displayed on the screen before it fails to boot, then there are a couple of options.

Option 1] Remove the internal SD card and load it with an image that someone is willing to host. (I don't have the bandwidth for 4gb right now).

Option 2] I figure out how to get the emergency bootloader to recognize ROM update files on an external SD card.

pb

9. lifeinhisway83

P.Barrette,

It starts up and says "preparing..." and just sits there.

-life

10. lifeinhisway83

As additional information, I have already opened the EEE note from reading earlier in the thread when it happened to LatinVixen. So the rom would be very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.