Astropad Studio - Astropad goes pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by siddhartth, Jan 12, 2017.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Cintiq killer is not a hardware product but an App.

Apple pencil made Astropad famous. Now Astropad team is helping Apple pencil be actually helpful.

It works the same way as before but with new "pro" features that help in accurate colour reproduction and superfast display adjustments depending on you wi-fi speed fluctuations.

http://www.cultofmac.com/461938/astropad-studio-makes-ipad-pro-ultimate-art-tool/

But i think it still better to wait for Surface pen improvements rather than buying a 12.9 " companion device which needs an expensive Macbook and a third party app like Astropad before it can even utilise a single dektop programme.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So from the site:

"Astropad Studio has several features not found on Astropad Standard (still a mighty art app available for a one-time price of $29.99), including keyboard support, pressure smoothing, hover simulation, unlimited shortcut sets, undo/redo gestures and a maximum speed of 40 MB/s. The Standard app is 5 MB/s."

I am interested in how exactly this "hover simulation" works.

Also, I find it ridiculous that they limit the standard app (which is also paid!) to a paltry 5MB/s video data rate. The compression artifacts especially at the retina resolutions, are just painful to look at.

But to get clean video you need to subscribe at $65/year...I dislike these new business practices. Why can't I just pay $20 to unlock the full video rate?

siddhartth likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

From what I heard, basically you can set a gesture that makes the apple pencil work as a mouse pointer when it touches the screen.

As for the price, I would just drop entirely the standard version and keep only the subscription one if I were the developer.

siddhartth likes this.
  4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

its a compelling mobile solution. big cintiq killer, lol, no. not sure about color critical workflows yet, but thats a tiny niche in design and art.

still a big price to pay to lug two devices around , and look to like a douche. but, if my MSP dies, im going back to apple.

siddhartth likes this.