Astropad Beta for Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by jedah, Mar 18, 2021.

1. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

2. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

So I tried this out for a few days, and for the most part it works very well with minimal lag (if any at all). I was running a 2017 Spectre x360 13 w/ 16gb with an iPad Pro 10.5 (also 2017). Slow diagonal lines are as stable as drawing through a native iPad app.

I sent a couple bugs to the developer, that I hope they fix when the final product is released
    1. Clip Studio Paint: Pinch to Zoom did not work for me. The zoom shortcut buttons worked at least
    2. Leonardo: Pinch to zoom worked, but Leonardo crashed after about 10 minutes of use
    Overall, I'm impressed enough that I will seriously consider cancelling my iPad CSP subscription when my year is up. That said, the use case I haven't had a chance to try is going to the cafes to see if this setup fits comfortably on those small tables.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just gave this a try...connecting my iPad Pro 12.9 to my Surface Pro 5 over a USB-A to USB-C cable. It need alot of improvement, pretty much on par with Duet Display, but a far cry from the Android Super Display or Apples Sidecar.

4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

How is it compared to easy canvas? I remember easy canvas could only duplicate display so there is black bars due to laptop and ipad aspect ratio difference.

5. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Just curious: What didn't work for you? My testing was a bit limited to CSP. I do remember having to switch to either Wintab or Windows Ink to get the pressure to work (don't remember which was the default)

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with similar apps Easy Canvas, Super Display, etc, so I don't have much to compare to. I do use twomonusb, and Astropad behaves differently in that you have to choose which part of your main display to mirror onto the iPad. In contrast, twomonusb was just treated as another display so I can choose whether to mirror or extend in Windows' display settings. You can choose full screen in Astropad, but you'll get black bars as you mentioned b/c of the aspect ratio. I got around this by just resizing CSP on my laptop display to match the mirror area.

6. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

If Astropad only behave like a mirror of your display, you should try out EasyCanvas to check to see which one works better. Easy Canvas is also an IOS App that mirror your screen and let you use Apple pencil with pressure sensitive. It's an one time purchase instead of subscription so you could check out which one works better for you.